Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy x360-15t Convertable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can i turn on My HP Envy x360-15t w200 CTO Convertable Laptop with the screen lid completely closed?  I want to be able to turn on this laptop without haveing to open the lid to a mininum of 3.75 inches before it alowes me to fully power it up. I would like to set the BIOS in some way, or anything thing else that will alow me to symply push the power button and the computer comes on from an all power off position, to on,  with the lid completely closed. If there is a practical way to do this without haveing to start up the laptop from the sleep or hibernate mode i would love it. If this can be done please provide symple and detailed procedures. If you need more info, please ask for it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ZX9i

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you want to power up the HP Envy x360 laptop with it's lid closed,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

When was the last time it worked the way you prefer or is this the first time you're setting something as such up?

Do you know about the wake on LAN option or is this related to dual monitor set up you've got connected to your computer?

While your reply will be expected, here's what I suggest:

To enable the Wake On LAN (WOL) function after upgrading to Windows 10 or installing the Windows 10 update, perform the following the steps:

Step 1: Verify the computer has the latest BIOS version installed. Refer to the following link to locate, download and install the appropriate BIOS update for your computer:

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Step 2: Disable Hybrid Shutdown mode:

1. Open Control Panel and select Hardware and Sound.

2. Select Power Options.

3. Click Require a password on wakeup.

4. Confirm the option of Turn on fast startup is unchecked.

5. Save changes.

Step 3: Enable Wake On LAN (WOL) setting for LAN driver:

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Select Network adapters.

3. Locate the LAN device and click on it.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Raising the LID to power on the computer is only available on select commercial notebooks and isn't available on your laptop, hence I recommend using the wake on Lan as alternative.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you,  Riddle_Decipher,  for your first answer to my problem. It was BRILLIANT. But it was not exactly  the answer i needed. I need to walk over to my HP ENVY x360-15t w200 CTO Laptop in the morning; Sitting on my desk with the lid completely closed; not connected to the Internet; it's power off; push in it's power button; it powers up to the logon screen; and all the while it's lid is still closed.

Is there another brilliant workaround that we can deploy? Such as, 1) Some how overriding its built insetting that does not allow it to power on with it's lid closed. 2) By cleverly manipulating it's BIOS, rewriting it's Registry in some way, blocking a switch in it's lid or blocking a signal that tells it that the lid is less than 3.75 inches closed or closed all the way, or installing a program or app that now gives it the new ability to do this new trick... etc... .

It never worked this way before. The computer is only 2.5 weeks old.

I do not have a dull  monitor setup. Half the time i use the x360 all by itself; the other half i use it with my new VIZIO TV/COMPUTER MONITOR (using an HDMI to HDMI cable connection) I do not want to have to use the Wake On LAN (WOL) function because half the time my Internet will not be on.

The x360 came from HP with Windows 10, 64-bit Home preinstalled. And it updated Windows 10 showing no difference in it's ability to NOT TURN ON by pushing in the power button with it's lid closed (from the factory).

Could you please contact HP Engineering , Microsoft or another insightful people like yourself to take on and create the definitive answer to this challenge?

Imagine all the other owners who will honor you because they would love to do this as well.

If you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to ask for it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. 

HP Recommended

@ZX9i

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I wish there was another way, however, I'm afraid the steps I had suggested previously are the only alternatives available for your computer,

The only other option is to leave the computer in a tablet mode as it's an x360 and that way you could just push the power button on the side to turn it on and off.

While changing the display settings to view only on the monitor instead of the x360 so that the screen on the laptop remains black at all times.

This seems to be the end of the line for me,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.