Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

So at this point I am at my wits end been trying to figure this out for the last year but no luck on finding solution to my laptop reboots as soon as it shuts down... only thing I can do is shut down then once rebooting starts press and hold power button for 30 seconds (manual shutdown)

Here is what I've done and tried:
Newer battery (less then 50 cycles)

'New' Motherboard (Compuparts Solutions, says they buy directly from HP as New Boards)
-Still have old motherboard with same symptoms (hence why I'm fairly sure its not the motherboard itself but poor design and hardware)

*Tested 3 different power adapters/chargers from 45w to 65w
-Reboots after shut down with and without charger

*Passes all diagnostics (but poor system performance graphics, cpu, disk, memory in windows 10 performance reports)
-userbenchmarktest everything but GPU (63.1 percentile) and hard drive (77.3 percentile) running in high percentiles (93+)
-did windows and an independent memory test program which said memory passed
-did comprehensive hard drive test both through windows and independent software which hard drive passed

Fresh install and updated Windows 10

All drivers fresh installed from most updated versions

Bios updated and settings set to default and checked

*Unchecked under advanced start up and recovery restart in event of errors

*Unchecked Fast Reboot in power management settings
-changed power setting of power button and lid to shut off
-ran troubleshooter for power management and accepted fixes

*Uncheck under intel management engine properties allow to turn off computer

Tried both Intel HD graphics and then Nvidia graphics as main gpu

Restarts after shutdown with Mint Linux as well

....... I guess I'll start pulling what hardware can and seeing if anything changes... but at this point I doubt it and I'm sick of throwing money at this laptop....

Any help or insights appreciated, if anyone has truly figured the issue out please let me know.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok finally seems like I've fixed the issue, it was the separate usb/lan/power board... I just replaced and no rebooting after shut down, it appears a previous owner had some liquid spillage and didnt think it gotten into laptop. 

1597283233136384863597697310987.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Apparently even manual shut down, laptop still reboots just waits longer to do it with the screen closed or open

HP Recommended

So I've unplugged the battery, then Hard drive, then each stick of memory (then tried each slot with each stick), unplugged web cam, unplugged screen and touch display... each time and finally with mostly everything disconnected laptop was still automatically rebooting by itself. At this point it's the power/usb board or some fail safe for no or defective battery or the ddr4 memory which isnt low power(which I really doubt).

HP Recommended

@Putertech

Welcome to the HP support community.

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok finally seems like I've fixed the issue, it was the separate usb/lan/power board... I just replaced and no rebooting after shut down, it appears a previous owner had some liquid spillage and didnt think it gotten into laptop. 

1597283233136384863597697310987.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.