Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Mfr part #15B11UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

HP Stream 11.6", Celeron, 4GB RAM, 64GB emmc, Royal Blue, Windows 10 Home in S mode, 11-ak0090wm (purchased from Walmart)

I bought this for a friend who is in another state.  I'm trying to help her with it because she has very limited knowledge of the computers.  I am not familiar with this one.  Does she need to download an antivirus program?    I found this but I'm confused - "

we recommend all Windows devices use antivirus software. Currently, the only antivirus software known to be compatible with Windows 10 in S mode is the version that comes with it: Windows Defender Security Center. Windows Defender Security Center delivers a robust suite of security features that help keep you safe for the supported lifetime of your Windows 10 device. For more info, see Windows 10 security.

Also note that by exclusively using apps from the Microsoft Store and browsing safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 in S mode keeps you running more quickly and securely day in and day out.

If you want to use another antivirus software provider, you can ask if they offer a product that runs on a Windows 10 device in S mode."

Hope you can help.  Thank you   (It would be nice if HP offered human help without charging you $14.99 a month! )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You don't have to download an antivirus program.

W10 comes with its own A/V program (Windows Defender), and all PC's with W10 in S model can only use apps from the Microsoft Store.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You don't have to download an antivirus program.

W10 comes with its own A/V program (Windows Defender), and all PC's with W10 in S model can only use apps from the Microsoft Store.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick reply.  I appreciate your help. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your friend feels restricted in what she can do with the notebook in S- Mode, she can switch to the regular version of W10.

This is a one time action, and she can't go back to S-mode once she makes the switch.

Switching out of S mode in Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

I had read about that.  I think she will be better off just keeping it in S mode.  She doesn't need it for many things.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.