Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 14 inch Laptop PC 14-f1000 (2L1B0AV)

I cannot download virus software as advising it is not microsoft approved. It states to change app recommendations however I cannot locate setting

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The error message you're encountering might indicate that the virus software you're trying to download is not supported on your new HP laptop, which is running on a non-Microsoft operating system.

Here are a few steps that might help you resolve the issue:

1. Check the minimum system requirements for the virus software you're trying to install. Make sure your laptop meets these requirements.

2. Disable any security software that might be blocking the installation.

3. Change the setting for App recommendations:

• Go to "Settings"
    • Select "Apps"
    • Click on "Apps & features"
    • Click on "Manage optional features"
    • Click on "Add a feature"
    • Scroll down to find the virus software you want to install and click "Install."

If you're still unable to install the virus software, it might be best to contact the software vendor for further assistance.

If the answer was helpful to you, please appreciate the effort and vote below by clicking on "Yes".
This will help me a lot and encourage me to give better answers.

My website
web counter
HP Recommended

Hi, @Dee1978 

Sounds to me like your notebook came with Windows in S-Mode which means you can only install programs that are available from the Microsoft Store.

If that is the case, and you need to install programs not available through the Microsoft Store, see the link below for how to switch out of S-Mode.

Switching out of S mode in Windows - Microsoft Support

Once you switch out of S-mode you cannot go back unless you use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive to factory reset your PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.