Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

So, my inbuilt apps are not working. There was no system update nothing. I had shut down the pc like one normally does. Opened it the next day and no app works, not even the Microsoft Store. And, then a new problem arose, whenever the system will update, everything on the pc will reset. After some time, the keyboard didn't work. This was months ago, gave my laptop to service centre. After two months, they just repaired the keyboard and sent it back. The problem with the apps still persists.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Enid4 

Need more information ...

How old is the laptop?

Which specific apps are not working -- and what do you see on the screen when you try to launch these apps?

What do you see onscreen when you try to launch MS Store?

We can proceed when you provide the information.
Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

•The laptop is around one year old.

•All in-built apps like photos, calculator, camera, Spotify, Netflix and even hp apps are not working. Whenever I click on the app, the color of the app (not the screen) fades and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens. The app doesn't open even if you click on it several times and it never opens.

•MS store has the same problem as in-built apps. It doesn't launch at all. The colour of the app icon fades and nothing happens.

Ya, so the summary is absolutely nothing happens when you try to launch the apps.

HP Recommended

@Enid4 

Thanks for the feedback.

So this has been going on for months now?  Is there anything that does work on the laptop?

IF this was an older laptop, my suspicion would be that the drive is failing such that when you try to launch an app, the drive is timing out and nothing is then being loaded -- but I would not suspect this problem on a laptop only one year old.

You should follow the instructions below to test the drive -- just to rule that out.  Let me know what you find out.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

HP Recommended

Yes, this has been going for months now. Well, apps like chrome, MS word and Adobe are working.

Ran the test as said, there was no problem with drive.

HP Recommended

@Enid4 

What those working apps have in common is that none of them are provided by Windows -- you had to install  all of them yourself.

So, this implies a corruption inside Windows itself and since you can't reinstall those apps individually, you would have to do something called a Repair-Install to essentially reinstall the Windows core components while leaving everything else intact.

We need to know the specific version of Windows you are running, so enter "winver" (without the quotes) in the search area and tell us the version and build that it shows.

HP Recommended

It says Windows 10 version 1903 (OS Build 18362.1139).

Thank you for your services so far.

Really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@Enid4 

OK, thanks for the details.

So the procedure for doing a Repair-Install uses Win10 media to overwrite the Windows core components on the PC while leaving everything else intact. 

To get that file, you have to use an MS tool known as UUPDump -- for which I've provided the following instructions:

Microsoft provides a tool known as UUPdump that can be used to download and create Windows installation ISO media.

It can be found at this link: https://uupdump.ml/

Enter the build number of the Windows version you want into the search box and click on the search icon.

Scroll down through the list of Builds until you find the one you want and click on it.

Choose your Language, click the Next button

Choose the edition you want -- the more editions you choose, the larger will be the ISO file that gets created. Click the Next button.

Select the Download and convert to ISO option by clicking that radio button. Then click the Create download package button. This will save a file to the default saving location for the Browser you are using and the file will be named nnnnn.xxxxx_convert.zip where nnnnn is the Build number you selected.

Create a root level folder on your drive in a location that can hold 10 GB of date. Make sure the folder does not have any embedded blanks in the name. Copy that .zip file there and expand its contents into the folder.

You will see a file named uup_download_windows.cmd Right-click on that and select Run ad administrator. This will start a process of downloading and running scripts from Microsoft which could take 30 minutes, 45 minutes, or longer.

When done, you will see an ISO file with a long name in that folder. That is the Windows installation file.

You can then go online and download RUFUS, a free utility, that can be used to build a bootable USB stick from the ISO file you downloaded.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.