Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15t-cs300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Lately I have noticed an issue where my computer fan starts running very fast, and the Intel Optane Memory Service shown in task manager is using up to 50% of the CPU.  This lasts for about 30 minutes after booting the computer, then stops and after a while it runs high CPU again.  It seems like there is some sort of issue, as this happens every day.

I am currently using a Windows 10 laptop, version 1909, with installed 32GB Intel Optane Memory and an SSD. I ran windows update, HP Support Assistant, and the Intel Driver update utility, but no updates were available.  Does anyone know what might be causing the Intel service to use so much of the CPU?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Weatherman Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that Intel Optane's memory service has high CPU usage.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

I recommend you create a new user account on the computer and then check whether the issue persists in the new account.

Follow the steps in the below article to create a new user account on your computer.

https://hp.care/2JFY8rk

If you continue to face the issue in the new account as well then I recommend you run a hardware test on the computer to make sure all the hardware components are working fine.

Follow the steps in the below article to run the system test.

https://hp.care/2uoegKc

Let me know how that pans out,
If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,
That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,
Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

HP Recommended

Sorry for my late reply.  I created a new user account on my computer using the instructions provided, and unfortunately the same problem occurs in the new account as well.  I'm not sure if it was the creation of the new account, or possibly an update, but the problem does not seem to be happening as frequently now.  The service uses high CPU and revs up the fan about 2-3 times per day.  This is definitely better than before, but if possible I would still like to figure out why it's happening, to be sure it doesn't get worse again.

I ran the hardware tests, and they came back normal.  For reference, I only just bought the laptop about a month ago.

HP Recommended

@Weatherman

Thank you for the update.

In that case, I would suggest you perform the system reset and check.

If the issue still persists, Please perform the recovery.

Note: performing the recovery you will lose the personal data and installed application 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I have a lenovo laptop with the same 'problem'

I think the only solution is to turn off the intel optane module. 

Intel optane cannot fix this because they need the cpu usage to calculate what goes in and out of the optane cache. The cpu usage is critical to its design. That's why it waits untill you are connected to a power source to start processing.

If you turn off intel optane you should in theory lose some performance speed, but it will be barely noticeable. To be honest, I regret to have spent an extra 20$ to get intel optane instead of a normal SSD. The CPU usage and fan noise is way to annoying.

Press the windows button and type in intel optane, open the first app that comes up and there should be a toggle to turn it off

HP Recommended

I'm running into this as well, almost constant churning of the Intel Optane Memory service when on battery or AC (Spectre x360 13-aw0xxx).

So, the question is, does HP have a KB article on how to safely turn off the Optane caching? In addition to the the Intel Optane Memory Manager software, do we need to turn it off in the BIOS too???

(just an observation, it you disable Windows Defender, the Antimalware service, I find it decreases the use of the Optane caching) 

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveen196,

I performed the system reset, but unfortunately there is no change. 

The memory service still frequently uses a significant amount of CPU.  When I load the Intel Memory management interface, it says that the last optimization for the Optane was several days ago, so I have no idea why the service continues to run so often.

Do you know if there is any way to reduce how often it optimizes?  Or, if I could simply add the more computationally-intense programs into the Optane manually and completely turn off the automation?

HP Recommended

I too am having this problem.  I purchased my laptop in November and was trying to figure out why the fan was running so often and the battery life was so much shorter than my last laptop.  I purchased the HP Spectre x360 13" model.  I love the idea of the Optane memory, but the extensive seemingly unnecessary CPU usage is troubling. 

HP Recommended

I gave up and disabled it altogether. 😞  That can be done from the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management app which you may have to install yourself from the store. 

If it's any slower, I can't tell. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.