Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 32 (683 Views)

Is it possible to change Windows Hello IR camera focus?

Product Name: Spectre x360 13-ac0xx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Sir/Madam:

On my HP Spectre x360 13-ac0xx model, there is a Windows Hello face recognition camera. The camera works most of the time, and works best when my face is front-lit with the screen pointed slightly below eye level. The problem I have with the camera is that it does not detect my face when my body is backlit. For example, if I am sitting with a window to my back, the camera focuses on the bright outside and cannot find my face, forcing me to log in with a PIN. Or, in the evening when I turn on the room lights, the camera will focus on the bright light behind my head instead of focusing on my face (I have recessed lights in the ceiling). Is there a way to change the behavior of the Hello camera to focus on my nearby face rather than focusing on the bright light behind me? This would be very convenient and make the facial recognition system better.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 32 (656 Views)

Re: Is it possible to change Windows Hello IR camera focus?

Hello, @jscity720 – Hope you are well Smiley Happy

Thanks for your continued participation on the HP Forums! I’d like to help with you about the Windows Hello issue!

I understand you like to change the Windows Hello camera focus. While this cannot be done, we can improve the recognition feature of your product by some simple steps Smiley Happy

While setting up the Windows Hello, you need to click on “Improve Recognition” to access your Surface in different lighting conditions. Here are the steps:

1. Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and locate Windows Hello.
  2. Select the infrared IR camera option.
  3. A “Welcome to Windows Hello” box will pop up. Press the “Get Started” button.
  4. Set up a PIN code if prompted to do so. If you already have one, this step will be skipped.
  5. Scan your face by following the on-screen instructions.
  6. Now select “Improve Recognition” instead of “Finish” and continue scanning.
  7. Scanning your face again doesn’t erase earlier scans—it just helps Windows Hello get better at recognizing you. Hence try scanning in different appearance and lighting conditions.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck Smiley Happy

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 3 of 32 (644 Views)

Thank you for your reply, @Dvortex.

If the camera focus cannot be changed, then that is disappointing. Perhaps you could put in a feature request or driver request for me to improve the camera performance in backlit conditions.

I already have tried to improve recognition in backlit conditions because the camera did not log me in. But when I go in to "Improve Recognition," the camera preview is exposed to the light to the background and ignores my face, so it is impossible to even train the camera in a condition where there is light behind me. In the preview window, my face is shown as dark, while the Hello camera clearly sees through the window behind me to the outside trees.

Oh well, thank you though.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 32 (632 Views)

Hello, @jscity720

Appreciate your efforts Smiley Happy

You could try updating chipset, graphics and webcam drivers from hp to try and fix this issue. Go to http://hp.care/2o0cpVW to download and update these drivers.

Once done, try to setup the Windows Hello and check again.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers Smiley Happy

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 5 of 32 (600 Views)

Thank you for your help. I am disappointed that the Hello camera performance cannot be improved. Even reinstalling the IR camera drivers has not changed the camera behavior. Here are some pictures of what I mean when I say the camera won't recognize my face in bright light (my face is scribbled over for privacy reasons):

WHello1.jpgWHello3.jpg

When I try to train the camera in these lighting conditions, the camera either 1) does not see my face at all (first image) or 2) sees my face but doesn't recognize it (second image). The second image is puzzling because the camera definitely sees my face and wants me to keep looking at the screen, but I sat there for several minutes, staring at the progress bar, wondering why the camera wasn't trying to recognize me.

It seems this is normal behavior, which is disappointing. Please put in a request to the development team to update the drivers for these lighting conditions, or consider having a fingerprint reader in the next model instead of a Hello camera.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 32 (590 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello, @jscity720

Appreciate your efforts and for the detailed description with the screen shots!

I have escalated the case to see if there are any possible solutions. I will get back to you if I can get any lead on this.

Thanks & Have a great day!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 32 (526 Views)

Hello, @jscity720

Appreciate your patience!

Did you perform the new Windows 10 creators update on your HP Spectre? If not, please do a clean install from USB and install the Creators Update. After finishing all Microsoft updates, then install the HP drivers one by one. Please check http://bit.ly/2p3RIMA for creators update.

Once done, go to hp drivers page and reinstall the HP drivers one by one and then setup the Windows Hello again.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers Smiley Happy

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 8 of 32 (508 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I personally won't be installing the Creator's Update manually, and I have enabled the "Defer Feature Updates" setting in Windows 10 Pro because I do not trust the latest version of Windows to be bug-free. (This is a separate discussion, however.)

When the Creator's Update is delivered to my Spectre in the next few months, I'll be sure to see if there is any improvement to the Hello camera.

HP Support Agent
Message 9 of 32 (482 Views)

Hello, @jscity720

The creator's update is done in phases and I hope you will be getting the update in next few days.

Make sure to clean install the IR camera drivers and then setup the Windows Hello again and check for issue resolution.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Have a great day Smiley Happy

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

Tutor
Message 10 of 32 (437 Views)

I have this exact same issue with my new 15" Spectre.  Very disappointing.  I have a lot of windows in my house and whenever I'm near one Windows Hello doesn't work.  I end up taking far more time messing around and trying to get it to recognize me than actually just putting in a PIN.

If it was going to be this unreliable HP should have just put in a fingerprint sensor instead.  And yes, I've installed all updates, installed the new version of Windows 10, etc.  It's an HP issue that needs to be fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation