Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy Hp Envy 15-J100 i7 8Gb Ram
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Can any one confirm that this laptop,......Hp Envy Hp Envy 15-J100 i7 ......is a touchsmart?    According to the manual it is but maybe its just select models.

I've checked device manager and settings etc and there's no touch device with or without a driver anywhere to be found. 

I've also run the hard ware diagnostic test and checked through the component option list and there's no indication there either and checked settings and nothing has popped up.

So I presume its not but several sites do indicate that it is or could be...... 

If it hasn't then I'll stop wasting my time and get on with something a bit more useful.....just like to know as its bugging me....

Any advice on this would be great and thanks for giving this matter a bit of attention. Your all doing fine work,

Best, 

Paul 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi, Paul:

What is the product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply by the way.

I think the SKU is the one you want.......I'll keep looking.

Best,

hp envy 15-j100
Version 10.0.1942 buils 19042

System Name DESKOP-64SNPES
SYSTEM SKU E1P05AV

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Below is the link to the parts list for the product number you posted.

HP PartSurfer

Unfortunately, since it is a Configured To Order (CTO) model, there are multiple displays listed.

As you can see from the list of displays for that product number, some were touch and some, non-touch.

Since you have been unable to find any way to get touch capabilities on your PC, I believe you can safely assume that your notebook has one of the last four displays listed under the Display section of the parts list.

The first two (TS) are the touchscreen displays.

HP Recommended

Wow!

I like the partssurfer! I've made a note of that, great tip.

I have to admit its still bugging me, it doesn't make sense that someone would requested the TS not to be there if its an option 

unless of course its a lot more expensive! 

Do you know if there's software available to determine model of the screen or do I have to physically take the screen ofthe screen of and checked the model number out against those in the partsurf,   I guess that would settle it at least partly. 

I'll give that a go I think. 

If you any ideas then please let me know.

Cheers, 

HP Recommended

The parts surfer description of your notebook does not indicate that it is a 'Touchsmart' version.

All it describes it as is a HP ENVY 15T-J100 QUAD EDITION CTO NOTEBOOK PC (ENERGY STAR).

For example:  When you look at this model which is a 'Touchsmart' model in the same 15-j1xx series as yours, it is described as such...

HP ENVY TOUCHSMART 15-J119WM NOTEBOOK PC (ENERGY STAR)

HP PartSurfer

I have zipped up and attached a free utility below, that may provide some information about your notebook's display but I don't think it will provide the part number.

Based on the above info, I am even more convinced that your notebook does not have a touchscreen.

HP Recommended

Ok, well that's fine and I'll bow to your expertise here.  I've spent a bit of time getting this Laptop up and running and 

I'm quite pleased I got it working and for £50 its a bargain. I was just curious to see the TS working if it did that's all.

One more question if I may.

Intel drivers!

I went to load premier pro and it requested an up date of the intel graphics chip before loading the (driver 27.20.100.8476)

Apparently there's an issue with this (driver 27.20.100.8476) and either windows or adobe which requests it. 

Apparently the hp driver that came with  laptop is modified apparently and that is needed before this recommended one can be loaded.

Also (one more question) ....there's an Nvidia Geforce on board which I've updated the drivers. 

Do you know how this works? Do the the two intel and Nvidia chips sort the work load out between themselves or do they have to be allocated particular tasks? 

I've yet to try premiere with the current configuration but it loads but I imagine there may be limitations especially with after effects.

Thanks very much for the zip by the way.  I'll take a look at that.

driver 27.20.100.8476

HP Recommended

Great Zip!!!!

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

On notebooks with the switchable graphics, I think you can only use the custom HP Intel and Nvidia drivers on the support page.

From what I understand is that if you install the latest drivers directly from the Intel and Nvidia websites, it causes the switchable graphics not to work.

How the switchable graphics work...your notebook has the dynamic type of switchable graphics, which means the notebook decides which adapter to use based on the graphics demand.

Most of the time, it uses the Intel graphics, but when you are using graphics intensive applications such as video editing or gaming, the Nvidia GPU is supposed to kick in.

Now, if you want to experiment with the latest Intel graphics driver, here is how you can manually update the driver to the latest version.  It should make the Adobe software work right, but it may be at the expense of the Nvidia graphics adapter not working.

Here is how you can manually update the display driver to the latest version Intel has...

First, create a system restore point so that you can roll back to the current graphics driver you have installed, just in case the updated driver does not work to your expectations.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point

Next, download and save the latest Intel HD graphics driver 64 bit ZIP file (3rd one down on the left).

15.40.48.5171     Date: 2/5/2021

Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Unzip the graphics driver file to its folder. Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

To unzip the file, right click on the graphics driver zip file you downloaded, and select Extract All.

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category

Click on the Intel HD graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and then at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the unzipped graphics driver folder>Graphics>igdlh64 (setup information file), click Next, and the driver should install.

Be patient, as it can take a few minutes for the driver to completely install.

When the installation is finished, restart the PC.

To update the Intel HDMI audio driver to the latest version, go to the device manager, click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device manager category.

Click on the Intel HD audio device listed there.   Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the unzipped Intel graphics driver main folder.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked, and the driver will install.

Then restart the PC.

If you install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA), after you manually install the driver, it should in the future, automatically install the latest graphics and HDMI audio drivers without having to do the manual install.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

HP Recommended

...funny you say that as I've already done that, updated and installed the intel and Nvida drivers but from what you say I'm not sure of the wisdom of that now.

The thing is it would be good to have the dual action of them both working without compromising the Nvidia that's the thing.

I guess there's no way of checking if the dual action is working or not? 

Also getting hold of the original drivers from the manufacturer would be very difficult I guess with the age of the machine now.

I've signed up to HP assistance so updates as you say should be taken care of.

I'll use the system and see how it gets on. 

Thanks again for your help in this.

Best,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.