Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp laptop 17-cn0045c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I do have windows 10 on my new laptop, but the box has in parentheses Windows 8. I do not understand why. I read in an article from 2017 that new HP laptops have a way to activate Office 365. I do have CDs or dvds to install Office 2007, and intend to buy an external DVD drive. However, please see the following link to see what I am referring to, as the link about activating Office 365 seems to be broken. It is from 2017:

Microsoft Community Forums Question about installing Office on HP laptop 

It says that HP computers no longer install Office 2010. I have Office 2007, and I had installed it on a 2016 laptop, and it worked until this year. Actually it still works, but it is hidden on the laptop, and when I try to go to properties> find file location, it won't let me open the file location on the applications. I am assuming that it will still install on the new laptop. I am not sure. I just want to check about this potential option regarding Office 365 since that link listed on that site is old and not available. Some Microsoft Community volunteers have said Office 2007 cannot function in Windows 10, but obviously, I had used it until February of this year on the other laptop, but the Windows Update at that time moved it to a hidden location, and I can only access it through the AppData folder. Also, I have a tech friend who suggested that it could be installed. But I would like to find out about the new laptop and Office 365. If it is available, is it for a trial period? Also, maybe there would be a new link?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JoshuaCaleb 

The Office 365 that comes preloaded is a trial version, it does not activate, and it does not have a key.

To get the full version, you have to buy a subscription from Microsoft -- and they will then send you a key to activate it. But you are buying your own personal subscription, so you could then download that from Microsoft and install it on any PC that you want -- the purchased copy is not tied to the HP machine.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Okay, do you know if I would be able to install older software on this laptop and still upgrade to Windows 11? I am worried that if I do that, software might be hidden, uninstalled, and there might be hardware issues. I know that on my other laptop, Office 2007 got hidden with a Window update, the webcam software got uninstalled, and the screen seemed to start flashing on and off. I do not want to have to worry about various hardware and software issues if I update to Windows 11. Some people seem to be reporting issues already (though it is not supposed to be released until October).

HP Recommended

@JoshuaCaleb 

Windows 11 is still in Beta testing, so folks using it are using a pre-release version -- which will have problems.

No one know what software will be certified for Windows 11 -- and MS is not telling us anything.

You need to know EVERYTHING that your system lacks for Windows 11, not just TPM or what the MS tool tells you.

Here is a link to a third-party tool that will check all the currently known requirements for Windows 11 and tell you what fails on your PC: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.