Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq CQ58
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This problem started last week.

Randomly my 5,6 and - keys stop working.  Then they just start working again for hours and then once again stop.

Removed the keys and cleaned under them.

The laptop was bought in 2012 and used for surfacing and watching videos

I have to use the on-screen keyboard in-between.

I did a Microsoft troubleshooting and tells me the keyboard is working with no problems.

It was suggested on another forum to buy a new keyboard and get someone to replace the current one.

I am not very tech-savvy so please keep simple, sorry if the wrong board.

Thank you for any help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@donna255 

You're talking about a laptop model that is likely around seven years old -- and it would then not be unusual for the keyboard to be failing as laptop keyboards are not made to be rugged or long-lasting; they are made to be lightweight.

I would not recommend trying to replace the keyboard yourself unless you are experienced in doing that, as there are fragile ribbon connectors that are real easy to break.

Since your PC is long out of warranty, you should shop around for a laptop repair facility locally and get some repair estimates.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.