Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daniellelouder
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop turns off when unplugged (new battery)

Envy 15 J121tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I unplug my computer from its charging cord it automatically turns off. I was having this problem before, but replaced the battery with a brand new one. It was working fine and I broke in the battery by charging and discharging it fully for the first 3 cycles and the laptop was working well without power for the past week since I got it, other than taking a minute or so to respond to me pushing the power on button before working when it was not connected to the cord.

Now this morning it switches off whenever I unplug it even though the battery says it is at 100% charge and still charging. But, the light on the side of my power port is on red/orange when I have it plugged in, but only when it's lid is closed and it is fully booted up. I checked on other forum answers and tried changing to different power saving plans and even switching all options to 'never' but nothing has worked.

I also looked at the pins underneath my laptop where my battery should go to see if they are damaged. Two of them are on a different angle to the rest but I think this is how the laptop was built anyway? I dont want to move them incase it just makes the situation worse.

What should I try next?

I would like this fixed ASAP as I need this laptop for school and often don't have access to a power plug in class. Thankyou.

2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
1,071 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @daniellelouder,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that the battery in your HP Envy 15-j121tx is not powering the notebook. I am happy to help you resolve this issue. First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, please follow the steps in these documents:

1. HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

2. HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista)

Please check for hardware updates as well.

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

If the document did not help you resolve the issue, try HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS and then check for Windows update

Thank you, I look forward to your response with the outcome.

If this post has helped you, feel free to click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
s_b1
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this eact problem. 

I have an Envydv6. The original battery was starting to not hold charge so I bought a new battery.

Now, when the iold battery is in it shows 46% charge and as soon as I take the battery out the lap top shuts down.  The new battery shows 100% charge and as soon as the cord id taken out thelaptop shuts down??

I have done a complete recovery on my computer taking it right back to factory.

What can I do to stop this happening? Its driving me nuts!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation