Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (2,604 Views)

Laptop tx2520 won't charge while turned on.

Hello,

I have an HP tx2520 laptop.

Recently, it stopped charging on random. It may charge for a while normally, and then stop.

If I'm using the battery, it will be OK (the battery works). But when the battery runs out, and I'm plugging it back in, it won't start charging, until the computer goes completely off (the battery dries out) and then it will start charging after a couple of minutes. From that point on, it works OK.

I read some posts here, saying it is the "Charging board" or something like that. But when I look at the service manual, I don't see any part with that name. I'm quite capable of replacing the parts myself (I already did it several times, on several computers), I just need to know what part to replace.

Any help will be highly appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 8 (2,595 Views)

Re: Laptop tx2520 won't charge while turned on.

Matbe the AC adapter is dying, it may not have enough amperage to charge the battery and run the notebook at the same time, will it charge that battery all the way with the notebook turned off?

Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (2,588 Views)

Hello mister Mumbodog.
I disagree with your comment, although I am not an engineer I have some experience in troubleshooting. I have the same issue with HP530 laptop and I was able to use more than one ac and the problem is persisting. I use the l-top on my laps often and I suspect the plug was brushed with obstacles once too much. I don’t see any physical damage to the plug itself but I suspect the problem is on the board. Is there any part of the main board that could be replaced and eliminate the issue?

Dean
Message 4 of 8 (2,488 Views)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01634627.pdf

Here is the service guide for the tx2520au, it does not show the DC socket separate from the motheboard

Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (2,477 Views)

Hi again,

any one has any other great ideas? can this be software generated?

Honor Student
Message 6 of 8 (2,472 Views)

Well, first of all, thank you all for your replys.

I already tested 3 differenct AC adapters. Original HP adapters and also a generic model (just to check).

I've tried 4 different batteries.

I also re-formated the machine, and re-install Windows (Windows 7, 64 bit). I've checked my BIOS version, and it appear updated. If you think it is neccassary, I can re deploy it.

I have the service manual, and I didn't see anything named a charging board in the parts.

I was wondering if someone knows what part (on the mother board) to replace. Or should I just replace the entire board?

If I'm looking in parts lists, I only see a "DC Jack" assembly, which is the closest I get to anything related to the problem.

(Here's an example from e-bay: http://bit.ly/lCwrNj

So, if you happen to know which part to replace, or what to do, I'll be happy to hear it Smiley Happy

Thanks

Dean
Message 7 of 8 (2,471 Views)

If the charging board is not listed, then it is an integral part of the motherboard.

You can use a flashlight and look into the DC jack, see if the center plastic pin is damaged.

Tutor
Message 8 of 8 (2,193 Views)

Try This!!!

First off, I'd like to say that HP SUCKS. It is ridiculous that many of you have wasted time and money to find a solution with absolutely no help from HP. Do yourself a favor and take your business to another company. OK, had to get that out of the way!

So here are the steps that worked for MY laptop:

Having your laptop running and plugged in, let the battery die at which time the screen will turn off.

Press the On/Off button until the laptop powers completely OFF. Be sure to leave it plugged in.

Wait a few minutes. You will notice that an orange light will turn on where the adaptor plugs in to the laptop.

Once this happens, wait a couple more minutes.

Finally, power up your laptop. You will notice that the power meter on the task bar will now read "Plugged In. Charging". Your laptop is now charging while ON!

I really hope this works for you. If it does and I saved you a headache and a few bucks, do something nice for someone!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation