Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (167 Views)

Microsoft pushed a Windows 10 update/virus to my computer that has completely disabled my HP laptop

Product Name: HP Pavillion dv6
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

3 days ago Microsoft pushed a Windows 10 update that has completely disabled my computer and sent in into a rebooting loop.  Now that BIOS needs to be adjusted to boot off of the USB download they assisted me with getting they kicked me to HP.  HP has been unhelpful since my warranty has expired.  I am in total disbelief how Microsoft pushed their softward on their partner's, HP's, products which has cost me time, money and tears and no one wants to help me fix this.  Instead, how about I pay $300 for tech support to tell me my computer is fried and I have to buy another one...that's what I believe is headed my way.  Happy New Year from Microsoft - we just cost you $1000 because we don't know what we are doing anymore!!!

For the love of God, can someone please tell me how to use BIOS to boot off of this USB so that MAYBE...JUST MAYBE my property may be returned to me in working order?! 

3 days, 8 hours, 7 representatives with tech educations - and my computer is in the same dysfunctional state.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (157 Views)

Re: Microsoft pushed a Windows 10 update/virus to my computer that has completely disabled my HP lap

@HeatherV

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

With Windows 10, Microsoft changed their previous Windows Update policy to NO LONGER allow folks to refuse Updates; so basically, we are all in the same boat now -- getting Updates forced onto our PCs, some of which end up disabling them.

I have spend the last two days repairing the damage done to my HP DV6 and had to do a restore from an image  backup I made two months ago, to finally get it working properly.

Also, the DV6s came with Win7 preinstalled, not Win10, so there is no built-in factory restore that will work on our PCs because the Win10 Upgrade corrupted that.

At this point, about all you can do is reinstall Win10 from  scratch -- and that will mean you will lose all the apps, settings, and drivers on your DV6 because the MS-provided Win10 does not contain the HP apps or drivers.

You can download and create Win10 installation media from this link:  Windows 10 download 

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation