cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
SpatialZebra
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

My HP Pavilion Gaming laptop is thermo throttling.

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have an HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec0xxx and I have both Minecraft Java and Bedrock edition on it. When playing Java edition with Optifine everything works fine and the FPS doesn't drop too low. But when playing the Bedrock Edition it definitely does. I get like 150-200 FPS and I have lagspikes to 50 FPS sometimes, or even lower.
I discovered that this was due to thermo throttling of the CPU, so I first replaced the thermal paste, which helped a lot because the original paste was really low quality, but still it throttles.
What happens is that the fans aren't running or just very slowly when I launch the game, so I have like 40 FPS until the fans start running. But when the CPU gets cooler they slow down, and then as the CPU gets hot my FPS drop again until the fans start running faster again.

So I think I could solve the issue by locking the fans at full speed. The only thing is that I tried a few softwares and tutorials and I was not able to do that. I have seen the fan always on option in the BIOS, but does this lock them at full speed?

Any help to do that would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, people who want to tell me that I will damage my system should rather not reply at all as I know what I am doing.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation