sebrantigan Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My brand new HP Notebook has a very high CPU and memory use?

HP Pav AMD A8-7410 HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone,

I just bought a new notebook a few days ago and it is running very slow, it can't handle more than a few Google Chrome tabs open at a time. Was gonna take it back to the shops for a refund but I've already installed everything on here.

'System and Compressed Memory' is holding up between 300-600mb of memory, this is 8GB however my laptop is still runnning slow.

I haven't installed much software on this and there is 2TB of storage so I have no idea how it's running so slow. The CPU varies between 10-25% however the memory is 60%+ even with just Chrome open. Most bizarre. I've checked that there's not any virus scans or downloads running. I'm running dual screens so not sure if that slows things down. Can someone help me please.

5 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 183 585
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This would come handy:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04770630

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Karthik, thanks for your quick reply.

I have hit a snag - I have tried to search my model inside HP's site and after 20 minutes of searching I can't find the model so am unable to update drivers. Please advise.

Update the BIOS. Refer to the HP support document HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS or HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS. If there is no BIOS listed for your version of Windows, choose the latest version of Windows from the drop-down menu and install that BIOS.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
14446 1348 3202
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's because A8-7410 is not a valid model number.

Please follow these directions for finding your detailed product number: Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

Thanks

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for clearing that up - I confirm I have followed all of the steps including doing a reinstallation of Windows 10, this has sped up my laptop a bit as a few anti virus softwares were running which I had to uninstall, 'System and compressed memory' is still running at around 270-280mb  memory in the task manager which still looks quite high. Can I make this any lower or not? I only have 6-8 Chrome tabs open usually.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, still having some problems. It's very slow when playing videos on YouTube in the background (even though it's not playing in HD) and it struggles with Facebook a lot too, have had to turn off the chat if I'm not using it, as it's too slow. Any pointers? thanks!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation