Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My  Pavilion dv7 notebook, running Windows 10 64 bit, continues to show "plugged in, not charging," even though the battery is down to 38%. I have tried all the suggestions found on this and other boards, to no avail. The battery checks out as good. What do I do now?>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Charlie60660,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's start off by uninstalling the battery drivers from Device manager: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. 

The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging. 

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge 

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the BIOS and the Chipset drivers to the latest version using the Official HP website for drivers and downloads: Click here to find it. 

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Run a battery test using F2 (during restart), if the test failed: 

Check with an alternate battery. 

HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Charlie60660,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's start off by uninstalling the battery drivers from Device manager: 

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%. 

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins. 

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager, 

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed. 

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. 

The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging. 

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge 

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the BIOS and the Chipset drivers to the latest version using the Official HP website for drivers and downloads: Click here to find it. 

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Run a battery test using F2 (during restart), if the test failed: 

Check with an alternate battery. 

HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your responsse.  The problem seems to be solved, although what I inadvertently did was not exactly what you recommended. Here's what I did:

1. Per your instructions, I deleted the battery drivers and unplugged the laptop.

2. I then discovered that when you delete teh battery drivers, the battery charge icon disappears from the system tray. That was going to make it impossible to tell when my battery was down to 15%. Sso I worked for about 10 minutes, and then decided that I would reboot. This would reinstall the battery drivers, allowing me to see when I was down to 15%, and then I could re-delete them and follow the rest of your suggestions. However. . ..

3. I restarted the computer, and it took so long to restart that I frankly got a little nervous. So I plugged the power back in. When the computer finally rebooted, the battery icon was back—and it was charging!

Indeed, as I type this, my battery is at 100%. Thank you so much for your help. 

Yours,

Charlie60660

HP Recommended

@Charlie60660,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my public post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.