Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17 - p161dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm no stranger to disassembling desktops and laptops but many of my experiences have been with computers from the 90s/00s. Unfortunately the laptop started having overheating issues right after the warranty expired. A computer repair shop determined that they couldn't fix it, and they returned it with the hard drive separate so I could recover my files. I would like to take a look inside but am having difficulty.

I've removed the battery and all of the screws. It appears that the palmrest pops off the top and I can start this process with a guitar pick but something is holding it down. I suspect there may be a screw or something else at fault under the corner covers. I've never had to deal with corner covers like this before and can't find any videos for this model.

Can someone please provide me with a service manual, disassembly video, and/or tips for removing the corner covers? Thanks!

Images: Top of laptopTop of laptopcorner coverscorner covers

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Honkmaster

HP Laptops have a Maintenence Manual that illustrates hardware removal procedures. You can find it, along with drivers and such from your models downloads page... HP Notebook - 17-p161dx

Maintenence Manual... look at pages 31-32.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04777516

That should give you an idea how to tear it down.

Removing the rubber feet on the bottom will give you access to more screws.

HP Recommended

Thank you, I made some progress. I got the corner covers removed but there's one more obstacle - the optical drive.

On page 28 of the service manual, it states "Use a flat tool to press on the optical drive bracket tab to release the optical drive."

I can't find this "bracket tab" anywhere!

Here's the underside of the laptop, the optical drive is on the left. 

HP Recommended

Page 27-28 of the Maintenance Manual shows the tab and screwdriver.

You mean this one?

I think that is for only select models.

dvd tab.JPG

I think (guessing) yours just has two screws next to a Disk icon on the base. remove those and the drive should slip forward out the side. Otherwise the keyboard top should be removable now.

holes marked.jpg

HP Recommended

Hello,  I am looking to upgrade RAM  in my laptop, but the user manual reads, "Memory Two SODIMM slots - NON customer accessible / upgradeable."  Does this mean I can not remove and install new RAM chips?  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.