Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11 11.6" Intel® Celeron™ Laptop
Other

I bought a new HP Stream yesterday and can't get Norton or Google Chrome to download. I spent hours trying to find out how to give 'permission' for an app outside the app store to download which has so far failed. I require both apps for university and had been advised by one of the shops I looked at about the laptop that it could easily support norton. Please can someone help me, I need the laptop for tuesday's lecture! 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JB126

Hello;
Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Most often, file download problems in Win10 are due to folks using the new default Win10 browser - Edge.  MS has configured it to largely prevent downloads by defajult, while other Browsers do not have this limitation.
 You can switch to using Internet Explorer (which has a lot less problems in Win10) following these directions:  http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/6310-how-reset-ie-default-browser-instead-edge.html
 If that does not solve the browser problems, then consider switching to Chromium -- which is a lot more work to install, but works well.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your advice! The first thing we tried was downloading through internet explorer. It seemed as though the laptop simply didn't want me to download any protection other than McAfee. Luckly, after four hours of trying I managed to bypass the dodgy restrictionns and now my laptop is fully protected. 

Thank you again!! 

HP Recommended

@JB126

Sorry, I didn't notice that you were already running McAffee -- as that could have been the basis of the problem trying to download and install another AV product.

If you are going to be running Norton, then be sure to uninstall and remove all remnants of McAffee -- as having two running will cause major problems.  You might have to go to the McAffee website to see if they have a "cleanup" tool to remove it.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

It's okay, by the time of posting the original question McAfee had been completely uninstalled from the laptop. Thank you for trying to help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.