Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone!  I'm very interested in ordering or purchasing the Oculus Rift VR to utilize and enjoy but, in doing so it has to be connected to a PC device.  And I utilize a laptop for educational, entertainment and recreational activities.  This is an HP Notebook X360 and I don't know if anyone has utilized both devices together.  So, my question is has anyone used or is using an HP Notebook X360 as the PC to function and use the Oculus Rift VR?  And if so, what devices did you used and what and is everything working beyond your satisfaction and expectations?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @PreppyLee53,

Usually for VR, you need an extremely powerful machine and unfortunately, most HP Pavilion laptops don't have the greatest specs. I can check for you but a specific model name or product number would be appreciated. E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

You can also check the Oculus Rift's minimum specs here: https://support.oculus.com/204823846627499/

Keep in mind that minimum specifications are often much lower than what you actually need for a smooth experience.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hello EddyK,

I've just ordered a HP Spectre x360 15-DF1850nz (15.6", Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD). I would like to know whether this laptop will work with the Oculus Rift S headset.

I understand that the laptop has a Thunderbolt USB-C socket. Priscilla@HP commented on thread 224298-usb-c-to-display on the community spiceworks forum that you need to configure the Thunderbolt settings via the Thunderbolt application.

Before I unbox the laptop, I would like to know for certain that somebody has been able to successfully connect this laptop to an Oculus Rift S headset using a DisplayPort -> USB-C Thunderbolt adaptor. Do you know anyone who has done this please?

HP Recommended

Hello again EddyK,

I've just read that in addition to the laptop supporting Thunderbolt Alt Mode, the Thunderbolt port also needs to be directly wired to the NVIDIA GPU (see below). Would you know whether this is case? Thank you so much for any help!

Secondly, the port needs to be directly wired to the dedicated (usually Nvidia) GPU rather than the Intel integrated GPU. To check which ports are wired to which GPU, open the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking your desktop, then navigate to the “Configure Surround, PhysX” tab.

If this tab shows your USB Type-C port as being connected to the dedicated GPU, you should be able use Rift S or Index with a USB-C To DisplayPort adapter. Such adapters are available from retailers like Amazon, from brands like Cable Matters.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.