Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 3 (7,544 Views)

On start up I get A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, comes back to same scree

I have a HP Pavilion g7-1219wm Notebook PC, my operating system is Windows 7.

The message I get when I go to sign on is:  A disk read error occurred  Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

When I do this it just keeps coming back to that screen.

I have gone to  the Startup Menu and did F2 System Diagnostics.

When I run that on: The Start-Up Test read:  Memory PASSED, Smart Check PASSED Short DST: FAILED with the following:

Failuar ID QO8O99-60763T-XDO15F-60U903  and   Product ID QE3047AHABA 

The same information came up when I ran the Run-In Test.....

I stopped and am now asking for help.

Thank you very much,

Cathie Wightman

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (7,541 Views)

Re: On start up I get A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, comes back to same s

Hi Cathie,

Failing the short Disk Self Test would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced - this is also consistent with the issues you describe - you can check your warranty status Here.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Student
Message 3 of 3 (2,515 Views)

Re: On start up I get A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, comes back to same s

My mini is doing the exact same thing and it is not covered under warrenty so I was wondering if you could help me with the steps to replacing the hdd.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation