Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G5
Other

I'm new to Windows 10 Pro, borrowing a laptop and logged into a new account set up for me by the owner.

Each time I stop using it for 60 seconds, the screen goes black. When I tap a key and wake it, I have to log in to Windows again.

All 4 settings are set to 1 hour:

Screen / "On Battery Power turn off after.."
Screen / "When plugged in"
Sleep / "On Battery power.."
Sleep / "When plugged in"

A Google search directed me to this post describing a fix  to a similar problem:  "Desktop / Personalize "...Click the Screen saver link in the bottom right. "  But there isn't any Screen saver link that I see...

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

For Windows 10, you can locate this as follows.

From the Start Menu, select Settings, then Personalisation and then Lock Screen.  Near the bottom of this window, select Screen saver settings.  Make sure that the dropdown menu under the Screen saver heading is set to None ( if it already is, select another option and then select None again ).  Click Apply and Ok to save any changes.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This solution (Personalization / Lock Screen Settings / Switch from None to something else, Apply and then Switch it back to None.  Thanks!!

HP Recommended

This solution did not work for us.  All of the above setting suggestions were followed.  It is a Probook 650 G4 Windows 10.  It continues to go to sleep after a minute or so of being idle. Help.

HP Recommended

You may have the issue described on this web page (click). I offer this without warranty, but the information there has helped others.

HP Recommended

I just fixed the same issue.  It's not a screen issue.  I tried that numerous times to no avail.  It's a Hard Disk shutdown feature.  Here's the solution in a roundabout way.  (The shortcut is go to"change power settings" and then get to an advanced menu for hard disk options.)

Go to your screen saver settings (yes, I know - it's not here - it's the next step.)  As previously mentioned, make sure the screen saver settings are what you want them to be.

But then - click on "Change Power Settings"

(there is probably a quicker way to get here, but this is the path I followed...)

Under "choose or customize a power plan", click on "Change Plan Settings"

(almost there - I had all these settings correct, and then I found this little booger hiding away in an old Win95 looking window...)

I had all 4 settings set to 1 hour and but it was still sleeping every few minutes while I was working.

***Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings" - and you'll get an older looking settings window called Power Options.

The first entry for me was Hard Disk - and it was expanded to "Turn Off Hard Disk after..." and lo and behold, there was a setting at 15 minutes!!!  How frustrating - after all my other Windows10 settings were correct, this booger was hiding and shutting me down every 15 minutes of inactivity!

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.