Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion G6 2323sx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PLEASE HELP ME.

My laptop is HP Pavilion G6 2323sx (Windows 10) and in the device manager it shows a driver for keyboard named as Standard PS/2 Keyboard when I choose to show hidden files and has a yellow icon and it shows that the device driver is not working properly error code(24)problem.png

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try to (a) click Driver tab, (b) uninstall driver then (c) reboot the machine.

Regarsds

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I recently discovered this error on my computer too. PS/2 keyboard and mouse error 24 while using a USB keyboard and mouse. It seems this error is quite common on many computers... but how to fix it without much fuss is what I wanted... and I did find an answer. It actually works. The problem is Windows has legacy support for older hardware... like the PS/2 keyboard and mouse. These require a process called i8042prt.sys to correctly load up drivers.  My computer has these PS/2 ports on its back side and windows loads up the drivers for them when it boots... allowing any PS/2 hardware to work if you have it. But I don’t have PS/2 hardware. Windows just hides the error 24 message in the device manger for missing hardware that’s not installed.
Modding a registry entry will fix this.   i8042prt.sys has 6 different run settings. They are 0-5.  The default is 3 allowing the PS/2 driver to be in a standby mode just waiting for a PS/2 to be used. 0,1and 4 will generate an unhidden error 24 for keyboard and mouse. 2 and 3 generates the hidden error 24... but 5 does not generate an error message...  the PS/2 device is now shown as being active but with no drivers running and no error messages.   
I’ve seen a lot of internet posts on this subject with no real answers. This one definitely works.

If the BIOS could disable the PS/2 ports, that might work too, but my computer doesn’t have that ability. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.