Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook x360 440 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

Assistance would be greatly appreciated on this one as its my mothers laptop and she's not sure what she's done.

When the computer boots, it goes into a Power On Authentication screen. She has tried all known passwords to herself and no joy. You cant get past it to go into the BIOS or anything!

I stripped this laptop to see if i could reset the BIOS chip or just de-solder and replace. But i think it may be stored on a flash chip which I can't see a way of removing it.

My next alternitive would be to just replace the entire motherboard which seems a bit extreme. I've looked on google, ebay etc and the motherboard "L28242-601" is impossible to get hold of? Does anyone know if "L52374-601" would be suitable?

Or does anyone have any idea how to reset/flash the BIOS. I have removed the CMOS battery and left it for a few days to try and clear it that way. I DO have a BIOS chip programmer but unsure if it will help in this scenario due to the BIOS chip. (or what i think is the BIOS chip may not be...)

Any help would be appreciated so much! I don't just want to tell her to buy a new laptop when this one runs spot on and is a good model!

Thanks Again,

Harris96

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.