Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Preinstalled windows 10

HP compaque
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a notebook laptop 4 months ago, still under warranty, with Windows10 preinstalled.  I really can't get on with it and would like to uninstall and install Windows 8.  Can anyone please advise the best way to go about this ?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Preinstalled windows 10

Wow if you do not like Windows 10 I cannot see how Windows 8 is going to be any better. You would have to purchase Windows 8 and install from scratch. My advice is against it but happy to help just will not support it unless you confirm you have a licensed copy of Windows 8 (actually you would want 8.1) to install then we can walk through the steps. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3417
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Preinstalled windows 10

Sue3456

Unless you're a really big fan of the Metro (i.e., big buttons) interface and despise having a Start menu, I can not fathom how you would prefer Win8 over Win10.

I've been using Win10 since the first days of the Insider program and while I'm NOT a fan of Win10, I definitely feel that it has noticable improvements over Win8.

The main downsides I have seen in Win10 is (1) forced Windows Updates, (2) Cortana, (3) Edge.  Since I have (1) turned off driver updates, (2) disabled Cortana, (3) use IE instead of Edge, I have no real complaints about Win10 anymore.

And, consider that MS has announced that it's going to start forcing Cumulative Updates on us in Win7 and Win8, just like it does in Win10.

Plus, Win8 does not have any Start Menu -- and I really like having a Start Menu.

An additional problem you're likely to face in going to Win8 is that your Win10 PC most likely has brand new hardware -- and there may simply be no HP Win8 drivers for that hardware.  You didn't provide us the model number of the laptop, so we can't check for drivers.

And, as Huffer said, you would have to PURCHASE a license for Win8, since there is no free downgrade option.

Personally, you would do better, if you have specific issues with Win10, posting those issues on the community Win10 forums and seeing what folks there have to say about dealing with them:  http://www.tenforums.com/

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Sue3456 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Preinstalled windows 10

Thanks guys.  My biggest problem is with Office 365.  I am used to Outlook etc and find the Mail App with windows 10 useless.  Maybe downgrading to Windows 7 would be better than 8 ??  

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38149 37969 5796 10070
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Preinstalled windows 10

Office 365 will be the same with Windows 7, 8, 10. So do you have Office 365? You say you miss Outlook, do you have it installed?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3417
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Preinstalled windows 10

Sue3456

The problem you're going to be facing it you downgrade to Win7 is lack of HP drivers for the new hardware.  Without those drivers, you're relegated to using MS-provided drivers and those, at best, only provide the most basic functionality.  Most  likely, you're then going to be faced with some functionality missing, and without HP drivers, that is going to be a permanent problem.

And, don't feel alone -- there's a lot of dissatisfaction with the Mail app in Win10.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation