Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pavelbulanov
Level 2
20 16 0 5
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Is it possible battery charging limit/threshold to 80%?

Any solution found? I;m having sp spectre x360 15" 2017 and want to have a treshhold set

8 REPLIES 8
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 484 927
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @pavelbulanov

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are looking to set a threshold at 80% for the battery. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Are you facing any issues with the battery on your computer?

There is no option to set a threshold to stop the battery from charging beyond 80%. 

To under the battery, please refer to this HP Article. (You can read the section under "Should I fully charge the battery before I use the computer?")

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
pavelbulanov
Level 2
20 16 0 5
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm using this laptop for work and therefore it's connected to power for 8 hours a day. In this pattern the battery would be at 100% for like 6-7 hours each day.

I had a laptop before which was used in the same manner and its battery almost died within just 2 years (its capacity decreased by like 5 times, instead of 4-5 hours it reduced to miserable 1 hour). Luckily that battery was removable.

Then I had two sony laptops which both had the threashold feature. The battery was like 80% capacity after 3 years of same pattern of usage, so much much better.

I don't want to throw away 1.5k laptop after two years of usage because of battery. And there is no easy way to change battery in Spectre X360 I assume. I really need a way to avoid this happening.

Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 484 927
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, 

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
pavelbulanov
Level 2
20 16 0 5
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In fact, although it's not explained in detailes, the summary section of the above article "HP Notebook PCs - Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology" (the link you gave) says

"Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods (for example, running a notebook computer in a docking station under a heavy load) will accelerate the loss of capacity"

So it's ackonowledged that keeping battery at e.g. 100% (which would be extreme high level of charge) is bad for battery, the information widely accepted by all notebook users - and, presumably, manufactures, as they include some kind of threshold utility for their laptops. Hopefully HP can also introduce this highly desired features.

0 Kudos
Gerald_H
Level 1
7 6 0 3
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just tried finding and setting such an option on a HP Probook 440 G5. Does not exist.

What a shame, apparently no one at HP understands or cares about lithium ion chemistry.

Seems like there is absolutely nothing "Pro" in the Probook. Would probably not buy it again, given the choice :indifferent:

0 Kudos
darshan_vaja
Level 2
10 7 0 4
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ultimately they want our battery to die rapidly so that we will purchase new one!
sonny_mv
Level 1
5 5 0 6
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm searching for a tool to limit charging to 60% or 80% too for my HP Spectre x360 15-ch032 Convertible since I use it a half a week only AC-Powered.

Please HP give us such a Software like many other Vendors do (ASUS --> https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1032726/ or Dell or Medion or Lenovo).. PLEASE!!!

The only reason in my opinion why HP doesn't offer such a Tool is to degrade or kill battery early after 2 years.. thats sad, isn't it?

Nomen
Level 2
8 4 0 13
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am asking HP to add manual Battery threshold Setting.

The background is: I have two HP laptops, Folio G1 and x360 G2, both got swolen battery! I keep them plugged in most of the time and they are less than two year old, so having two failing is really bad. It potentially proves HP wrong in their opinion that lithium polimer batteries are ok to be kept 100% and/or that their battery controller FW is at fault! In any case, something is wrong, so until they fix it, conservative measure that would almost guaranteed work is to add manual battery threshold.

So, HP please add manual threshold setting in all laptops with lithium polymer batteries (such as all new ultrabooks with built in batteries)!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation