Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G56-129WM
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can someone find a link to the manual for this laptop for me - I would greatly appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the user guides section for your notebook...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-g56-100-notebook-pc-series/4247525/model/4307248/manuals

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link!  I have links to manuals for my other PCs and they give help with pictures on how to remove the hard drive. Couldn't find anything like this in this manual. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can find that information in this manual in chapter 4...step-by-step procedures of all major hardware components with pictures.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657369

HP Recommended

So sorry Paul - don't know how I could have missed it. Thanks for your patience!!!!!

I ordered an SSD from Crucial today - 240GB.  Hope I can get it cloned and installed ok.  It's a10 year old HP laptop and it still works good (no error problems or heating issues ),  but it is so slow to boot-up, hope this will help. It's running Window 7. I tried upgrading it to Windows 10 but just at the end of the install process I get a message that said "Windows 10 is not compatible with your chip set and that it would cause problems with the display".

Again, so sorry to have you do extra work finding what I needed in the manual due to my oversite. 

Hope all is well with you and your family 😊

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The SSD was a good upgrade investment, and you will be amazed at how it improves overall performance.

We are doing fine through this horrible pandemic and I hope that you and your family are as well!

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Cloned this 10 year old HP laptop to my new 240 GB SSD. The cloning and physical installation of the SSD couldn't have been easier. I am going to install SSDs on my other 4 computers as well. Prices for this size SSDs are pretty reasonable. It boots to the Windows screen in 12 seconds.  Just finished but haven't had time to check it out real good, but if I just get a and nice quick boot-up from it, it's worth every penny!!! Thanks for all the help you have given me over the years. Nice feeling to know your here to help!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi again,

My installation of the SSD was successful as I stated in post #7 and I did do a Cloning of my old mechanical hard drive. So now I have this perfectly good mechanical drive with all my old files and OS on it. Now, since I never use my CD-ROM drive I would be buying a 9.5mm caddy and pulling out the CD-ROM.  All that appears to be simple enough.

Since my now installed SSD is working fine I was thinking I can't  have 2 hard drives both have an operating system on them.

So if I install the old mechanical hard drive I would need to format it to make it available for storage instead of using my new SSD for storage. 

So, my logic on this is as follows:  I would remove the SSD from the laptop and then once that is done I would install the old mechanical HD and it should boot-up fine as it still have the OS on it. Once it boots up, I can go to the Disk Management tools and format it so it is clean and usable. 

Once that is done, I would then pull out the mechanical drive HD and re-install the SSD which also has the OS on it.

Next, I would pull the CD-ROM and place the old mechanical HD in the 9.5mm caddy and install it in the CD-ROM slot. Since there is no longer an OS on it and is formatted it should be ready for use. 

This may be done easier by going into the BIOS and changing boot-options but I really don't feel very comfortable working in the BIOS settings.

Anyway, think this makes any since and will work?

Sorry for the length of this but seems it just took this much to explain my thinking on how I would do this.

Thanks again

Larry

HP Recommended

Hi, Larry:

I would imagine that you can just install the old hard drive in the adapter and use the disk management tool to format it.

The notebook shouldn't boot from the old hard drive unless you select it to boot first.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.