Top Student
6 4 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery disks failed to restore computer to factory settings

HP Notebook 17-p101na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had problems with the notebook running slow, with Chromium malware and computer occasionally cutting out. I therefore decided to reformat the hard drive and restore the computer to factory settings, using the recovery disks supplied for the notebook.

The Recovery disks booted okay and the computer proceeded to install files for about three hours on compltetion of this process the system reported that it had failed to effect a recovery. 

The recovery disks are brand new and this is the first time i have used them. 

A copy of the events log was sent to my "F" Drive, in the form of a WIM file I tried to read it in Notepad but it was all ascii type characters .

Can you please help.

2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
2840 2757 184 356
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @desperion

Thank you for joining into the HP Support Forums! Here at the forums you will find suggestions, solutions and community members willing to lend a helping hand! I understand that you are unable to complete the HP System Recovery properly. 

There is a document called Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems. This document may have steps in it that will help you sort out the recovery not completing properly for you. 

If that does not help, I would suggest contacting us. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

When we have resolved the issue, please let others know how much the troubleshooting helped by clicking the Accept as Solution button. 

If you would like to give a big Thumbs Up for my effort today, please use the button below! 

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Thanks for joining in! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
desperion Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am pleased to report that my laptop is now fully functional, no thanks to HP or the use of their Recovery Disks

I find it incomprehensible that the Recovery Disks purchased from HP at a cost of £30, failed to recover the system on the first pass. I have restored a number of computers (not HP ones) in the past without any problem, surely it is not beyond the technical capability of HP to match this standard?

I find it even more arcane that it has taken five days for HP to respond to my request for help

This is my first HP purchase, based on my experience of their engineering test equipment, and I can assure you it will be my last.

Yours sincerely

D.G.Cree

Spoiler
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation