cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
AnasRT
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Secure Boot Enable Issue

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I am trying to enable my laptop for Windows 11 Upgrade. 

I have a good TPM 2.0 Version installed and the status says TPM is ready to use.

However, when I checked with Microsoft’s PC Health App it says "This PC can't run Windows 11". After doing a bit of search on Google I found out that the secure boot option should also be enabled but when when I go to BIOS the option of secure boot is all greyed out and does not let me edit it. It is currently in a "disabled" mood. 

I tried disabling legacy support to see if the secure boot option will be enabled to edit but nothing worked. 

I followed this guide as well: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04784866  

The boot settings for consumer notebook computers show everything right except on my end it does not let me enable the secure boot for Windows 11 upgrade.

Please HELP. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
143,519 67,083 22,525 34,619
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @AnasRT 

See this discussion...you cannot enable secure boot if Windows was installed in Legacy mode.

Solved: Re: Can't enable secure boot (Windows 10, HP Compaq Elite 83... - HP Support Community - 809...

I also found this document regarding hard and soft floor system requirements, so we are just going to have to wait and see what happens when we actually try to upgrade older PC's to W11...

Compatibility for Windows 11- Compatibility Cookbook | Microsoft Docs

According to the above document, you may be able to upgrade to W11 as long as your PC meets the hard floor requirements.

PS:  I noticed that Microsoft edited the above article and removed this information that it used to contain.

Hard Floor:

• CPU: Core >= 2 and Speed >= 1 GHz
  • System Memory: TotalPhysicalRam >= 4 GB
  • Storage: 64 GB
  • Security: TPM Version >= 1.2 and SecureBootCapable = True
  • Smode: Smode is false, or Smode is true and C_ossku in (0x65, 0x64, 0x63, 0x6D, 0x6F, 0x73, 0x74, 0x71)

Soft Floor:

• Security: TPMVersion >= 2.0
  • CPU Generation

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
6 REPLIES 6
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

See this link below for the system requirements to run W11.

Windows 11 requirements - What's new in Windows | Microsoft Docs

There is more to it than just secure boot being enabled, and having a TPM device.

The processor requirements are very high.

In order to enable secure boot, you would need to reinstall W10 in EFI mode.

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,146 7,847
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AnasRT 

Ever since Microsoft's announcement about Windows 11, folks have been panicking about their PCs not having Secure Boot or TPM 2.0 -- as if this were an immediate problem.

It is NOT!!

You need to be aware that Windows 11 is still in Development and will not be released until some time next year, probably around this same timeframe. So, you have nearly a year to work this issue before it becomes a problem.

But if you have access to Win11 previews and want to use them now, then go to the community Win11 forums where they have threads that tell you how to do this: https://www.elevenforum.com/

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
AnasRT
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Paul_Tikkanen. 

I checked this before and I meet all of the requirements. I am just stuck at the secure boot option. 

AnasRT
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you @WAWood. 

I understand it but I am still curious to find out the solution to how I can enable the secure boot option? Why it is all greyed out? 

Can you please send me an HP verified guide which can guide regarding how to go about enabling the secure boot option?

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,146 7,847
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AnasRT 

I'm not aware of HP having any such guide -- so I have nothing to send you.  Perhaps when it gets closer to the actual Win11 release next Summer, HP will produce something -- but we will only see it then.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, @AnasRT 

See this discussion...you cannot enable secure boot if Windows was installed in Legacy mode.

Solved: Re: Can't enable secure boot (Windows 10, HP Compaq Elite 83... - HP Support Community - 809...

I also found this document regarding hard and soft floor system requirements, so we are just going to have to wait and see what happens when we actually try to upgrade older PC's to W11...

Compatibility for Windows 11- Compatibility Cookbook | Microsoft Docs

According to the above document, you may be able to upgrade to W11 as long as your PC meets the hard floor requirements.

PS:  I noticed that Microsoft edited the above article and removed this information that it used to contain.

Hard Floor:

• CPU: Core >= 2 and Speed >= 1 GHz
  • System Memory: TotalPhysicalRam >= 4 GB
  • Storage: 64 GB
  • Security: TPM Version >= 1.2 and SecureBootCapable = True
  • Smode: Smode is false, or Smode is true and C_ossku in (0x65, 0x64, 0x63, 0x6D, 0x6F, 0x73, 0x74, 0x71)

Soft Floor:

• Security: TPMVersion >= 2.0
  • CPU Generation

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation