Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 14-ce3xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I've had this problem since I purchased this laptop where basically every time I let the battery go down and put connect the charger, the performance drops drastically and starts freezing and lagging momentarily every minute or so. My fps drops to around 15-20fps. When it is fully charged or the charger is not plugged in, everything works perfectly and there is no lag or fps drop whatsoever. I've reached out for support before, and I was recommended to update my BIOS on HP support assistant, however I've heard before that it's not good to do that. I was wondering whether in my case it is necessary to do this or is there any other sensible solutions? I don't want to make the matters any worse. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@EllaN2410 

You are showing something that most folks posting here seem to lack - common sense!  Everyone else rushes into a BIOS update, believing somehow that it is some kind of Miracle Cure for ANYTHING that ails their PC! -- sometimes, with disastrous results that only make matters much worse.

So, BEFORE doing any BIOS update, ensure that BOTH of the following are true:
1) You have a way to save off the current BIOS to some media that you can later use to restore it, if needed
2) You have a way to boot the PC such that you can restore the BIOS from the saved media, in the event that the BIOS update fails or otherwise trashes your PC

If your can meet both conditions, then the update is safe because you have a way to recover from it if it goes badly.  Otherwise, I would avoid doing it, if you can.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I know 0 things about Computers etc, hence why I’m asking. I was told to do this via Hp support on twitter, but I wasn’t entirely sure if it was necessary or safe. But thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.