Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 45G7 (?)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just have had for almost a week now a new probook, with windows 10 Pro 64 bit which I AM NOT AT ALL familiar with and quite frankly, DON'T LIKE 

and all  I want to do is register my laptop so HP knows I have it, and am entitled to SOME DEGREE of support and coverage for the love of God..

I could just scream. I have been all over this site and I did download the support assistant, because honestly I don't have all the specs in front of me and I don't know how to FIND THEM in windows 10. It is NOT user friendly like windows 7 which I loved, and couple that with the fact I have had my old HP Probook since 2012, so this is a big step up after a long time. 

I downloaded the support assistant and I hope I don't end up regretting it. Then, I go to the page where I think it is to let me register and despite ALREADY getting my specs and serial number etc. it asks me AGAIN AND I DON'T GET IT WHY THEY DON'T HAVE IT. I ALLOWED THEM TO DETECT IT WHEN ON THIS SITE.

What gives?

Please can anyone help me just figure out how to register this OR IS DOING SO SUCH AN ANTIQUATED NOTION?

Then, I am using my old but beloved printer, and I simply cannot afford a new one. It is perfectly fine a printer with a scanner and I feel like I am having to do battle with windows 10 to USE MY OWN THINGS. 

I have windows 10 pro 64 bit, of that I'm positive and I see it and can find it, but this is the most aggravating process when I had my printer's wi fi (my password) taken into this notebook I'm not even sure how the heck that happened without me having to use the DVD -- other than it must have viewed everything as being on a network. I have a good wi fi password, but for God's sake, i see everyting under devices -- my printer, my portable mouse, my firestick even.

I want to be sure this is SECURE AND ONLY I CAN SEE THIS. 

Yes, I have a private password for my wi fi AND one to the router and I change them every three months.

But, this is what is happening with the printer:

I printed four photos off a page online -- something I could do with my old notebook is no problem.

BUT in my printer it says there are FOUIR JOBS IN THE QUEU. 

SAY WHAT????????

I tried to delete them. They don't cancel. they won't go away. What is going on? 

I also tried to print a photo I have and UNLIKE MY PRINTER IN MY OTHER NOTEBOOK, THERE ARE NO OPTIONS FOR DIFFERENT SIZES. 

I have options for 5x7, for 10x8 etc. THAT ISN'T THERE. IT IS JUST ONE BIT FAT PHOTO.

How do I get my printing options back?  I tried to play the DVD that came with my printer, which is NO PROBLEM doing in my older notebook, but I kept getting an error message to the effect that it won't use 32 bit. SAY WHAT? My older notebook has windows 7 64 bit so there is NO REASON why I can't load everything the photo software etc. into this notebook. what gives?

I am always getting rid of the microsoft pdf printer because I AVOID THE CLOUD, I JUST DON'T USE IT, I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS ABOUT IT, IT IS NOT FOR ME.

I don't want there to be a mistake and this aggressive microsoft trying to pull everything that is mine nto its process. I don't rent 365, I own and paid for Business and Office 2010  and I have my desktop outlook. 

Please can anyone help me in the easiest most straightforward way get control of MY printer like in my older notebook and get rid of those print jobs in the queu? And to prevent that moving forward? 

I despise this I feel like I am always struggling and unable to enjoy what is a very nice notebook. I aim to have control over my laptop and I have done all to turn off edge but you can't uninstall it, though I surely would if I were able to.

I am SOOOOOOOO SORRY this is so long. i can take the printer part and move it if that part of my  question cannot be answered here. 

I am sorry if my questions seem elementary but it has been a long time since I have been able to upgrade to a newer laptop. I also am struggling with Windows 10 trying to find what is where. So thanks for your understanding and patience.

I did let HP detect my notebook and printer. But on the next page  when I tried to register, it didn't  and asked me again for what kind of notebook I have. Isn't that what I let it detect it for? 

thanks in advance for your help,

Gina 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi I feel like an idiot all ready but that never stopped me ....

I did get my notebook registered finally.

BUT PLEASE .... can someone please please help with the printer part?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.