Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-an051nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

Trying to get my thunderbolt 3 docking station (Without naming any brand, a TS3Plus) working on my OMEN which is driving me nuts. What I did so far on Win10 X64 v1803:
- Install latest Thunderbolt 3 software (via HP support assistant, version 17.3.74.11) and connected TS3Plus
-- WIndows reported: "Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited. Make sure the Thunderbolt device is supported by your PC)

-- The TS3PLus is recognized by Device manager and in the Win Devices view, but appears as just another USB device

-- The Thunderbolt 3 software  does not show any devices in the 'Attached devices' view
- Attempted to ensure Thunderbolt 3 capabilties from the BIOS appears to be hidden, so to no avail

- Scrutinized internet for similar problems, but what I found describe either the happy flow or remains unanswered
- Installed all latest drivers from HP support
- Re-updated the BIOS firmware AMI F.15

- Discovered the latest Thunderbolt 3 software was designed for Win10 v1709, so downgraded from 1803 to 1709

- Re-iterated the previous steps for full the 1709 compatibility

- Checked the docking station at another HP OMEN 17-an051nd with the same results

- Check the docking station at an HP Z-book => the docking station appeared to be functional!

- for 2 hours attempted to ' unlock'  the 'Advanced' tab in AMI F.15 BIOS with several 'known' key combinations but unable to visualise 'em

- installed software to rewrite the BIOS .rom file with the AMI BIOS configuration tool to enable it myself

My HP OMEN has physical Thunderbolt 3 support, any suggestions to further troubleshoot the SW stack?
Any suggestions on how to get a full functional BIOS menu without having to flash / brick it?

Best regards,
Arnoud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is amazing how a misstype can make a difference.  🙂

Unfortunately, I do not see any devices from HP with thunderbolt that are published as being compatible with your notebook.

There are Elite docks and ZBook docks, but I have found nothing specifically compatible with your Omen 17 notebook. That may change over the next few years.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The following list show the only adapters (hubs and docks included) that are listed as being compatible with the Omen.

HP USB-C to USB-A Hub                    Z8W90AA
HP USB-C to Multi-port Hub            1BG94AA
HP Spectre USB-C™ Travel Dock    2SR85AA
HP USB-C to USB 3 Adapter             P7Z56AA
HP USB-C to VGA Display Adapter P7Z54AA
HP USB Type-C to RJ45 Adapter   V8Y76AA
HP USB-C Dock                                    Y0K80AA

Compatibility of any third party dock or hub with the Omen is not guaranteed. If third party manufacturers guarantee compatibility with the Omen notebook, I suggest consulting their support staff.

I also wonder why access to the advanced menu has been denied. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
First of all thanks for quick reply.

After viewing these HP Omen supported products it appears that none of them communicate via Thunderbolt but via the regular USB 3.0 protocol, is that correct? If so: are there supported Thunderbolt 3 devices for the Omen, since I prefer a Thunderbolt 3 solution due to huge amount of bandwidth.

Any suggestions on enabling the advanced tab? Back to an earlier BIOS? I assume the Thunderbolt 3 configuration is editable there, is that correct?
HP Recommended

The recommended devices communicate via the USB 3.1 Gen 1 specification.

The specifications for your Omen 17 notebook make no mention of a Thunderbolt capable port. All three ports are USB 3.1 Gen 1.

Unfortunately I have had no word on the advanced tab in the BIOS. I asked about it internally but was given no specifics on how to enable it. Rolling back to a previous BIOS will not have any effect on the greyed out advanced tab.

HP Recommended
I see I mistyped the model in the 'Product name'. s
Should be 17-an051ng, see specs: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/omen-by-hp-17-an000-laptop-pc/15551440/model/20552088/document/...

HP Recommended

It is amazing how a misstype can make a difference.  🙂

Unfortunately, I do not see any devices from HP with thunderbolt that are published as being compatible with your notebook.

There are Elite docks and ZBook docks, but I have found nothing specifically compatible with your Omen 17 notebook. That may change over the next few years.

HP Recommended
That's clear and a pitty, since I would like to make use of the Thunderbolt benefits on the Omen.

Thanks a lot for the responses!
HP Recommended

welcome to the club

so you have thunderbolt 3 but you cannot use it..

check this thread

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HP-Omen-15-dc1xxx-Thunderbolt-3...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.