Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touchscreen Laptop Unexpected Shut down

Touchscreen Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a touchscreen laptop that I got in 2014, its OS is Windows 10 and it just shut down unexpectly and will not fire back up. I don't know the specific model of my laptop and can't look it up since the serial number is particaly destroyed due to wear and tear but I do have the product number but I can't look that up on this site either...so I'm pretty much S.O.L.

This is the second time that my laptop did this without warning and with a full charge. I need to know how to reset my laptop so I can figure out what happened and to repair it.

1 REPLY
Grad Student Grad Student
Grad Student
252 12 24
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Touchscreen Laptop Unexpected Shut down

Hello MGBeynon,

If you have bought the computer in 2014, then the chances of your computer having Windows 10 is very remote, because, the actual launch of Windows 10 was in the year 2015, July, 29.

I am sorry , if it has offended you, but i thought to share my information and that is the only reason for the above sentence.  Now, whatever OS be the computer has,  if it is shutting down randomly.. the cause could be multiple. 

1)  computer becoming very hot , whenever you turn the computer on. 

2) The computer itself is not booting, because of maybe a issue with hard disk or something more complex. 

So, let us try to do couple of tests. 

A)  As you press the power button, keep tapping on F2. This will show up the diagnostic screen . From the choices, choose component test ->hard drive->quick test ..  

If the test is passed , then we can go to the next step of installing the OS all over again. This will install the actual OS in your computer. 

So, turn the computer off. As you press the power button, keep tapping F11.. It will show a couple of options. choose TROUBLESHOOT -> recovery manager->system recovery . 

This is a lengthy process which would take about 30mts to 1 hour to get completed .. 

At the end of it , your computer is good to go. 

Now, if the hdd test fails, then we need to get the computer repair.  You may either contact HP Support to get the computer repaired  OR.. contact any local computer technicians in your area. 

Once again thank you very much for choosing HP . 

Regards,

Ashok ... HP..always working
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation