Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 13-ah0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

If I move around the mouse pointer with the touchpad, then press a random key on the keyboard, the pointer will follow the touchpad for another 1-2 seconds and then just stop. All touchpad inputs stay disabled until I let go of the key. 

This happens for most of the keys except for example shift, ctrl, alt...

I already disabled smartsense which did not help. I'm sure this is some sort of palm mode that is supposed to stop you from making inputs to the touchpad while typing, but I do not understand why this delay of 2 seconds is there and obviously don't know how to disable it.

Also I just wanna say that the touchpad pretty much ruins this otherwise great device, it's unprecise, does a lot of wrong inputs and is poorly configurable.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@sirsimon771 Since you are having trouble with your Touchpad, what I can suggest is for you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

1. Right-click the start menu and select Control Panel.  

2. Change the View by Category into Large icons. 

3. Select and click Troubleshooting.  

4. Click Hardware and Sound.  

5. Click Hardware and Devices.  

6. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete. 

7. After troubleshooting is completed, check the status of the troubleshooter shown on the window.

This should help in getting your Touchpad issue fixed.

If it doesn't, follow the below steps to turn off palmcheck as that could be causing this issue:

Step-1: Make a combined press “Win+I” hotkeys to launch Settings in Windows 10.

Step-2: Click Devices category on the main interface of the application. Select Mouse section on the left column of the following page.

Step-3: Shift to its corresponding right pane and click the link namely Additional mouse options

Step-4: Now, from the Mouse Properties popup, go to the Device Settings tab. Here, perform a click on the Settings button as shown in the given image.

Step-5: Once the Properties for Synaptics TouchPad opens, expand “Pointing” and hit click on the cog icon beside PalmCheck-Enhanced.

Step-6: From the following window, move the slider under PalmCheck to Off position. Finally, click Close button from the bottom to Disable PalmCheck on Touchpad in Windows 10.

Step-7: But to enable PalmCheck on Touchpad in Windows 10, move the slider towards Max but it is advisable to keep the pointer somewhere in between.

Lastly, head back to the previous window, hit the OK button to save the changes.

P.S: Welcome to HP Forums! 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all, I think you forgot to attach the "snapshot", at least I didn't see it in your message.

The troubleshooter doesn't find any problems.

If I click on the additional mouse options, the Mouse Properties do indeed show, but there is no device settings tab there, only Buttons, Pointers, Pointer Options, Wheel, Hardware & Mouse and Keyboard Center. I couldn't find the PalmCheck option you're describing anywhere in this window.

HP Recommended

@sirsimon771

It looks like the snapshot had an error, so it's been removed, I've edited that part out to avoid confusion, that said, here's what I suggest next, to help resolve the issue:

• Open your search and look for regedit within your laptop and follow this pathway.
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\Elantech\OtherSetting\DisableWhenType_DelayTime_Move
  • Change the value to 0 so there's no delay.

I hope that helps!

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm afraid that path doesn't exist on my device, there's no elantech folder in services.

HP Recommended

@sirsimon771 it looks like we need to get back to the basics as none of the advanced steps seem to be helping us, I suggest uninstalling the touchpad drivers from the device manager, restarting the computer for it to automatically reinstall the generic driver, if that doesn't help, please click here to access the HP website for your device and download the latest drivers Intel Serial IO Driver (Windows 10 v1809) under Chipset and the BIOS to fix the issue.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.