Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-bc550na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have searched and followed many different methods but I cannot find the option to disable my mouse pad how do I do it? I could on my old HP but not this. There doesn’t seem to be a method from disabling drivers or option in the menus.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Groves8133 , welcome to the forum.

Here is a Guide that should help you solve your problem.  You should look at the section titled "Disabling the TouchPad or ClickPad".

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Unfortunately when following the directions, it opens the window, ‘Mouse Properties’ which doesn’t have the option to disable the touchpad. I have tried this step without a mouse plugged in and I get no change. Sorry for late reply but have been travelling.

HP Recommended

@Groves8133, thank you for the additional information.

I suggest that you go into the Device Manager (right click on Start (Windows logo) and select Device Manager) and update the driver (right click on the TouchPad and select Update driver) for the TouchPad.  This may solve your problem.

HP Recommended

Drivers updated, through searching online and windows update, but the option to disable still not there. In properties under the driver tab disable is also greyed out. 

HP Recommended

@Groves8133, I use a USB mouse with my wife's laptop.  It allows me to Disable the TouchPad when a USB device is installed.  For me, this is much better since I am not always laying my hand on the TouchPad when typing.

HP Recommended

Yes I have a USB mouse connected as well but there is no option to disable the touchpad still.

HP Recommended

@Groves8133

Thank you for posting back.

After reading your post, I did go through the troubleshooting steps that you've performed and all are very vailed steps in order to disable the touchpad.
HP laptops contain an on/off switch located around the touchpad. This switch will temporarily turn the touchpad off when you are typing. 
To turn off the touchpad, touch and hold your finger on the top-left corner of your HP touchpad for five seconds.

Note: When touchpad is turned off a small light will illuminate like a dot.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQhfvOWaRU which demonstrates how to disable the touchpad.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This was one of the steps that I tried, and following your advice I have tried again. However, after holding it for up to ten seconds nothing happened, unlike the video my touchpad doesn't have buttons so not sure if that makes a difference. 

HP Recommended

@Groves8133

Next, let's try uninstalling the touchpad device from device manager.

1. Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10.
  2. Select Device Manager.
  3. Expand the entry. Right-click the Mice and other device and select Uninstall device and Uninstall everything listed under Mice and other devices.
  4. You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.
  5. Reboot the computer.

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.