ELE_2650
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

USB drive disconnects on ENVY 17

HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 17-bw0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an external USB Verbatim Stor'n'Go Secure Drive ( have to type a pin code on the drive to unlock it, then it makes connection with my HP-Envy laptop as the V: drive).  I used this for nearly 18 months without problems.

Recently, due to corona, I didn't use it for a while, but last month I started to use it again. And something has changed and I cannot find when or by which update or why it changed: 

Now a short time after connecting (90 seconds or less) the connection of my HP Envy 17 with the drive is broken. Sometimes, if I start immediately moving files, it takes a bit longer.

1. the energy settings for the drive and for USB are OK: no energy saving enabled
  2. the HP ENVY Laptop 17-bw0xxx, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 16 GB memory, Windows 10 Home 64 bits, has all updates (Windows, HP, while testing I updated also the BIOS to version F.24)
  3. I can use the drive without any problem on an ENVY 13 tablet and on an older ENVY 23 desktop all in one PC.
  4. I did the diagnostic system tests for the USB, when connecting the drive and testing: all OK, and when I kept the drive connected while doing the quick system test (about 1 hour), the drive stayed connected and I could even write the diagnostic logfiles on this drive. When I booted up, the drive stayed connected and I could read and transfer the log file. But when I clicked properties on the drive in explorer, it only lasted a few seconds before disconnecting.
  5. The main difference between the 3 envy's is that only in the ENVY 17 the Verbatim Portable Drive USB Device has (in properties>hardware>details of the drivers) the hpdskflt.sys  driver. (drivers are version 10.0.18362.1). The Envy 13 is also up to date.
  6. When I look in the device log, I find   "Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Verbatim&Prod_Portable_Drive&Rev_0105\31385143504B554354202020&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match."
  7.  A Seagate USB drive connects without problems and stays connected.
  8. I tried the different USB ports on the laptop, makes no difference. 
  9. I submitted this problem to VERBATIM support service, but they couldn't find a solution from their side.

I hope some of you have a solution for this problem.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation