Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cc023cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Repeat post-- I put it in hardware first, but it didn't get any responses, so here's hoping software is a more appropriate place for it.

Hello, HP community.

I have a bit of a problem with the USB Ports on my HP Pavilion - 15-cc023cl laptop.

It started with my wired USB mouse not being recognized.

image.png

Here's what I've done so far:

I plugged the mouse into another computer and it worked fine, so it wasn't the mouse.

The power management settings in my USB drivers were unchecked.

image.png

I disabled USB Selective Suspend and fast startup in power settings.

image.png

I tried uninstalling the USB drivers and restarting, but was a temporary fix, and it would always return to being unrecognized after a while.

I tried removing my battery and power cord and pressed the power button for 15 seconds before restarting.

I tried running windows update, which brought it to version 1903 (and now 2004).

I ran sfc/scannow (no detected issues) and CCleaner(lots of stuff fixed).

When none of that fixed the mouse, I updated BIOS and some of the drivers from that link. Interestingly, this solved the problem for my mouse(it still sometimes fails after sleep. but a quick disconnect+reconnect fixes it when it does, which isn't very often).

However, now my other USB port, which had my wireless USB keyboard attached and was completely fine through all of this, was exhibiting all the problems that the other port had.

I was unable to find the hardware troubleshooter in my control panel(Microsoft seems to have removed it), but eventually a google search led me to:

msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic

When I run it with the Device Descriptor Request Failed error, the hardware scan doesn't change anything.

When I run it after uninstalling the unrecognized driver, the hardware scan works and my keyboard becomes recognized and works properly, but only for a few moments before the code 43 comes back in Device Manager.

When I try switching the mouse and keyboard into each other's ports, neither of them gets detected at all, even if I run the troubleshooter. Both ports are able to charge my phone when I plug that in, but a second mouse works for neither.

I ran a system restore to when I tried the windows update, but that didn't change anything (No, I don't have a restore point to before when my mouse started acting up).

I'm at my wit's end, so any advice or insights for my issue will be much appreciated!

To summarize current issues:

USB Port #0002 only recognizes my mouse, may unrecognize it after sleep. Charger works fine.

USB Port #0001 only recognizes my keyboard, and only does so after I run a hardware diagnostic after uninstalling the keyboard's driver, and only for a limited duration. This happened after BIOS update. Charger works fine.

Devices work fine on another computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.