Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x-360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ISSUE SOLVED - THANK YOU.  THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE CABLE BEING USED.

I have a cheap, brandless USB 2.0 external DVD/CD ROM drive that claims to be 'plug and play'.  I have two laptops, a HP Envy notebook and a Dell Latitude e490, both new (late 2019) machines, both running off Windows 10 and both with 2 x USB 3.0 ports. The external drive powers up when I plug it into the ports (the disk spins and the lights flash green), but the laptops won't recognise it as a device on device manager or My Computer and therefore it just goes back to sleep.

If I go into device manager, the two laptops both have 1 or more USB Root Hub (USB3.0), USB Composite device, and either the AMD USB 3.1 eXtensible Host controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) (the HP) or the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) (the Dell).

- I've tried uninstalling all these drivers and restarting for windows to reinstall, including the UCM-UCSI ACPI Device(s)

- I've tried checking for updates by checking each driver individually and through the HP assistant

- I've checked for BIOS updates

- I've experimented with the boot order in the BIOS (putting the 'USB CD/DVD Rom drive' and the 'USB diskette on key/USB Hard disk' above 'OS'. Those are the only three things on the list)

- I don't seem to have anything called 'chipset' to check for updates - that was something else that's been suggested for similar issues on forums

As you might have guessed, none of the above made any difference!

Please does anyone have any ideas of what I need to do to make the external drive work?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.