Tutor
13 10 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to install August 2016 Windows 10 upgrade

HP Stream Notebook - 11-r010nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently received this notebook from my daughter and her fiance fro my birthday, and am greatly impressed. Wanted to download/install August 2016 Windows 10 upgrade, but "Settings" search said computer is up to date. Went on Microsoft site and downloaded update, but it will not install. I get a message that the program needs 20gb to install, and only 2gb are free. SSD is only 32gb to begin with. Is there a separate download for notebooks, or will I not be able to install update unless I uninstall programs?

9 REPLIES 9
Provost Provost
Provost
103144 93696 14385 22108
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

When you have a situation like that, you can normally insert a 16 GB usb flash drive for windows to store temporary installation files.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN298780/EN?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04#Need-more-space

0 Kudos
EJGlicks Tutor
Tutor
13 10 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good evening, Mr. Tikkanen, and thanks for your incredibly fast response and simple/easy solution!

FYI, the ONLY software I added to this laptop (I still want to use the older "netbook" name) has been McAfee Total Security. The pre-installed software must be HUGE. I'll have to see if there's anything I can safely uninstall.

Again, my thanks. I'll try the installation tomorrow (with a 32gb flash drive, just to be safe!)

EJGlicks
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103144 93696 14385 22108
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Probably the original W10 operating system and software, plus the recovery partition are eating up most of the 32 GB hard drive.

That doesn't leave enough space for the update files to expand and install.

0 Kudos
EJGlicks Tutor
Tutor
13 10 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good evening, Mr. Tikkanen. I attached a 32gb flash drive to the laptop and again tried the installation. I get a "Windows 10 Update Assistant" window  which says "You'll need to free up some disk space on your PC (20GB required). Free up disk space now" If I click on the "Free up disk space now, the Disk Cleanup utility opens and runs, whichaccomplishes nothing. Apparently the flash drive is not being seen. I checked the Dell link you sent me previously, but it does not appear to help, as I do not get an option as to what drive to use. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103144 93696 14385 22108
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Some things are never easy, are they?

According to the Dell link, when you install the 32 GB flash drive, the windows installation routine is supposed to be reporting a "Windows needs more space" prompt, at which you choose another drive, or attach an external hard drive and select the select the drive letter for the USB flash drive to continue with the installation.

So maybe you need to get that message first, and then plug in the 32 GB hard drive?

winneedsmore

0 Kudos
EJGlicks Tutor
Tutor
13 10 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good evening, Mr. Tikkanen. When the installation window opens, the only message I get is the "Windows needs more space" and the prompt to use the Disk Cleanup utility. I don't get the option to choose another drive or attach a flash drive.

I have tried attaching the flash drive before activating the Upgrade Assistant; I have tried plugging in the flash drive after activating the Upgrade Assistant and before getting the message, as well as after getting the message. I've also tried transferring the Upgrade Assistant to the flash drive and activating it from there. It has made no difference: I can't get the program to recognize the flash drive in order to install the upgrade.

I'm open to any other suggestions and/or assistance.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103144 93696 14385 22108
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry that nothing is working for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try but perhaps you can call Microsoft and see if one of their techs have any ideas.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

0 Kudos
EJGlicks Tutor
Tutor
13 10 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appreciate the attempt to help. I do have a Microsoft Store near my home, so I'll see about making an appointment to get some assistance wit this.

0 Kudos
Scifan3_1 Tutor
Tutor
18 16 0 2
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With my kids computers - which also have 32GB SSD card drives, I have to actually remove older windows update files and old installations before I can upgrade...  

(take at disk cleanup -> system cleanup -> remove old windows versions)...

BE VERY careful when you work with this area!

disk-cleanup.PNG

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation