Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have been getting the following error message - Preparing automatic repair.  I contacted Microsoft and was told I need to reinstall Windows 10 to fix the boot issue..  Unable to install until I free up space.  How do I free up space if I cannot logon?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ScoobyShaggy 

HOW are you trying to do the Win10 reinstall? Are you booting from a USB stick containing Win10 media? Or are you running Win10 and trying to launch the reinstall from there?

We can proceed when you provide the information.
Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I am booting from a USB stick to reinstall.  I get a message that I need to free up space before I can proceed with the Custom Install. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@ScoobyShaggy 

That's odd -- because Windows install provides the option to format the drive to install a fresh copy and that will erase the contents of the primary OS partition, creating all the space it needs.

Gparted Live is a Linux app that allows you to partition drives and is one of the only partitioning apps that is still available for free.

Use this link and follow Windows Method B: to download the file image needed and create a bootable USB stick:

https://gparted.org/liveusb.php

When you boot with that USB stick, be patient as it will take a while, possibly a couple of minutes or more.

Then when the app window opens, select all the partitions on the drive and delete them. This will remove all of them from your drive.

Then, reboot from the Windows USB stick and it should install OK, since your drive will be blank

HP Recommended

I downloaded the first option; however, it does not/will not boot up from the USB stick.

GParted Live CD/USB/HD/PXE Bootable Image Stable Releases Download gparted-live-0.33.0-1-i686.iso

Download gparted-live-0.33.0-1-amd64.iso

Stable directory (.iso/.zip)
(for i686, i686-pae and amd64 architectures)

It does boot up with the USB stick that has the Windows install; howver, I cannot reinstall Windows until I free up space.  After I insert the USB stick with the Windows install, I get Setup is starting.  When I get to - Where do you want to install Windows? - its has four options. 1) Drive 0 Partition 1 / Type System | 2) Drive 0 Partition 2 / Type MSR (Reserved) | 3) Drive 0 Partition 3: Windows / Type Primary and 4) Drive 0 Partition 4 / Type Recovery.  I highlight Drive 0 Partition 3 at which time I get the error - Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 3 (Show details) - There needs to be at least 9659 MB of free space on this partition. Free up space on this partition or select another partition.  Below the 4 options and before I get to the error message, I have the options to Refresh or Delete or Format or Load driver.  Until I free up space I cannot click on next to begin the install.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

@ScoobyShaggy 

OK, then choose the option to Format the Windows partition. That will free up all the space on that partition, and that should be enough.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your assistance with reinstalling Windows 10.  After I completed the install the Touchpad is not working/responding. Under devices it shows the yellow triangle with the exclamation point beside the picture of the Notebook.  I run troubleshooting but it cannot fix the issue(s).  The mouse/touchpad does not show under Device Manager.  How to reinstall the TouchPad and hopefully fix the areas that need troubleshooting/repair?  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.