Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Intern
Intern
46 3 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using HP Recovery Manager to delete the Recovery Partition-- will it add the space to the C drive??

HP Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I upgraded my notebook to Windows 10 shortly after it was offered in August 2015.  I also upgraded my main drive with a smaller SSD.  So, now that the notebook's been running OK for almost a year, I'd like to delete the recovery partition.  I only have a 256 GB SSD, so deleting that Recovery partition would give me almost 50% more space on my C drive.

I tried using two different partition programs to do this-- both apps let me delete the partition (D: Recovery-- far right, top), but then neither will let me add the new space to the C drive.  There is small partition between the two, and they will let me resize that partition, but not the C partition.  

I found that the HP Recovery Manager that's installed on my notebook has an option for deleting the partition, but it doesn't say where it will put the new unallocated space (but I didn't go all the way with it yet.  If I work through it the rest of the way, will it give me the option of where to put the new unallocated space?  Or will it add it to the C drive automatically?

Below is a snapshot of the drives configuration (the drive on TOP is the one in question):

PartApp_snapshot.JPG

3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
71122 8575 18472
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using HP Recovery Manager to delete the Recovery Partition-- will it add the space to the C drive??

Hi,

I can see C: and D: do not sit next to each other therefore Windows Disk Manager may not like this. Please try:

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/combine-partitions-windows-10-free.html

Note: you have to delete D: first.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
46 3 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks banhiem!  Maybe the issue with the other two apps is that I didn't actually delete the Recovery partition yet, I just tried to scheduled the two task so it did them both at the same time.  If it won't allocate the space until it's actually available, it may work with either of the other two apps.  I'll try one of those before I go installing yet another one.

Not that it really mattered either way, but I didn't want to run the delete Recovery task until I was sure I could reallocate the space.   If I can't reallocate the space, it's still unuseable.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
46 3 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, well that one didn't go very well!  

I tried to install the EaseUS Partition "Master", and it wouldn't let me install that app unless I also installed two others: Yahoo and something called ByteFence (see below).  I thought it I just clicked CANCEL, it would still install the Partition app, just not the other two.  But it cancelled out and didn't install anything.

I don't mind apps offering me other software-- I know that's how they make up for being able to let you use their apps for free-- but I don't agree that you HAVE to install them in order to use the one you want.  I've used their Backup app before so I didn't have a problem giving the partition app a try.  But I didn't have to install anything else.

Since this didn't work, I tried using one of the other Partition apps again, this time actually running the task to delete the Recovery partition.  Then I rebooted and tried to resize C, but I still couldn't do it (with AOMEI OR MiniTool).

My EasUS PM setup screens_3 [add apps - clicked CANCEL].JPG

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation