Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ee0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My question is pretty straight forward:

1. Is there a way (without removing the battery) to have the laptop running only on its power brick without charging the battery ( or only charging to certain point like 80%). 

2. Is there a way (like modding the bios) to get the feature to limit the battery charge to like 80%, as far as I know, it was possible on some older Laptops but isn't currently supported anymore.

3. I don't want your opinion on battery life maximisation or it not being a problem. I just want to know if it is possible.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I am not totally sure but I don't think it is possible to do what you describe, but as long as the laptop is plugged in after the battery is charged it won't drain the battery as long as your connected to power.

Thomas Lohse
Long time HP user owner and supporter
HP Recommended

This would be a solution, but I specifically asked, how to do it without removing the battery.

HP Recommended

Hi @Julian_Mörk , Guten Tag,

Check in the BIOS if there is an option for Battery Care Function that should allow you to select 80%

Review the following message in the forum:

>> https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Configuring-battery-charging-limit-to-desired-value-7...

The BIOS option should look like the next screenshot from the expert @Photoray002 

• IMG_2863.JPG

* Click on KUDOS thumbs up  to say thanks, 

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
HP Recommended

Thanks @ferRX 

@Julian_Mörk 

If the option in the bios is missing for Battery Care Function as per the image above, are you on the latest bios update?

Should be version F.15. sp111273.exe. There were quite a few fixes along the way that will be included with the newest version. Normally I don't advocate updating bios, but with the Thermal and cpu power fixes included, I would consider it.

If you have the latest F.15 and no joy, we wont know of an fix being made. HP is quiet about such things are per TOS policy.

There is no Mod that I know of to access a locked HP bios. If I had one, HP would not allow me to post it anyway. I'm sorry.

HP Recommended

Hi @FerRX @Photoray002

Although I am on the newest BIOS Verions (F. 15), there is no battery care function. Adaptive Battery optimizer can only be enabled or disabled, so no luck there.

HP.jpeg

HP Recommended

I will ask in the inside community what that entails over being able to choose the percentage.

I might or might not get an answer. If I do, I will post it here.

HP Recommended

Found this while searching... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06310986

Apparently the new battery optimization reduces the charge based on usage automatically. No manual control on percentage though.

All you can do with it is check to see if its Enabled and Activated (notes in the link above).

HP Recommended

Ha, ha your question is anything BUT straightforward, what with all your conditions and exceptions.

But to answer: Lenovo has such feature, to never charge the battery above 60%, from within Windows, so HP has got to have a similar option/app/downloadable program,  because HP is far more engineer-ish than Lenovo.

Grill 'em All!
HP Recommended

The question IS very straightforward, I understand why, and I am sorry that you had to add the sidenotes (and still get replies that don't understand). 

Unfortunately, HP only added the feature to limit to 80% to business laptop series

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.