Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion X360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
There is a weird chemical smell coming out of my laptop since a few days,i don't know why.
The first time i smelled it i turned off my computer as fast as i could,i never touched it since 4 four days,the smell decreased by time.
I really fear using my laptop now. When i turned it on last time,everything just worked fine,beside the smell of course.
My laptop is a Pavilion x360 Red,i don't know the entire name but if this helps then it's fine.
I would start to move everything to my home computer after i got the answer. I hope this smell doesn't affect the hard drive and disk drive inside my laptop and that i don't loose anything important.
Thanks for answering!
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@LunaPeter64

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My Hp Laptop has been emitting toxic smells coming from the vents underneath. The smell is worse at times, but I actually just found out where it is coming from. I could not figure it out. Gives me headaches. I finally turned over my laptop and stuck my nose near the vent while the laptop is off. Oh, yea, it was definitaly coming from there, even when shut down

HP Recommended

@nld1960

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I also bought an Pavillion x360 a year ago.  About a month ago I started smelling a strange chemical smell in my house, I couldn't work out what it was at first, but it started to make me feel really unwell and I even had to call out the emergency gas safety man (as I was worried it was a gas leak).

I soon realised it was being emitted from my laptop (coming up from the keys, but mainly coming out of the side ports). Over the course of a week it got progressively bad - to the point where I was having painful migraines, feeling sick and feeling short of breath. I eventually had to stop using it when I started to get a severe cough, breathing problems and the worst flu sysptoms you can imagine. I've had to take time off work, which as a Freelancer is extremely costly and damaging for my business relationships, I've had to buy a new laptop, a respiratator mask and air purifyer (as the heavy chemical smell is still lingering in my house).

It's been over a week now since I stopped using the laptop and the symtoms I have been experiencing as a result of this chemical poisioning are still severe, all I can smell is toxic chemicals when I breathing out and my sinuses are still infamed.

I took the laptop to the repairer, who has serviced it and cleaned it out, but he has said that he can't fix the toxic chemicals being emitted, because they're in the material of the laptop.

I'm sure you will agree this is an extremely serious issue, that could have caused all kinds of unknown damage to my health. Please can you tell me what you are going to do as an attempt to rectify this serious situation?

HP Recommended

@hbcomp

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue coming out my HP pavilion x360 Convertible PC, 13 inches. Is it because of the battery or why? I really don't want to be breathing these toxic gases. Please help! I live in the Netherlands, and I need my laptop to be repaired as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information such as serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.