Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 11 (1,122 Views)

What stylus works with 2016/2017 Spectre 13t-W000 (Kaby Lake)

Product Name: Spectre x360 W9A93AV
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Multiple pages on HP's website show the new x360 (Kaby Lake) being used with a stylus. I purchased an active stylus and after being unable to get it to work was told by tech support that the stylus is not supported with the new 13inch Spectre? Are the advertising pages on shop.hp.com incorrect or is there a stylus which works with the new Spectre? The footnotes say that not all hardware works with the Spectre however it seems to be pushing the envelope a little to show someone using the stylus, when apparently none work with this laptop?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 11 (1,097 Views)

Re: What stylus works with 2016/2017 Spectre 13t-W000 (Kaby Lake)

Hello, @LVegas - Greetings!

Thanks for your continued participation in HP Support forums! I'd be glad to be of your assistance Smiley Happy

There are 2 types of Stylus. Active and Passive. Active capacitive stylus pens require a digitizer built into the screen to allow communication between the touch screen and the pen. Not all computer and tablet models feature the necessary digitizer. I am afraid your PC do not support the same. 

You can check the compatibility of your PC with the stylus here: http://hp.care/2fcDTpc 

I would suggest using a Passive stylus with your PC.  A passive stylus functions the same as your finger on the screen. Passive styluses do not require batteries, and they work on any touch screen device.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck Smiley Happy

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 3 of 11 (1,067 Views)

That response had nothing to do with my question, which was "Why does HP show a stylus in their ads for the new kaby lake Spectre x360 when the computer does not support them?"

I purchased a HP stylus but couldn't get it to work and after finally getting a support person found that the stylus is not supported???? IT's IN YOUR ADS?

Plus the page referenced in the response did not show which stylus worked (and none does) but only discussed the types of stylus units. The actual page that shows which stylus works with my 13t-w000 is blank with my model but I naively assumed that since the unit is brand new and only released in the end of 2016, the page had never been updated. I just assumed that if HP put the stylus in their ads plus there are images of people holding a stylus and circling a shoe on the page that the stylus would work but I guess it was not a real computer but probably photoshopped.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 11 (1,057 Views)

Hello, @LVegas

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

Student
Message 5 of 11 (1,019 Views)

Hello, I have the same issue with the same exact laptop. Please tell them to contact me also. Thank you very much.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 11 (974 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too have the same issue. On the occasion that I ordered, my order would not go through online due to system problems. I ended up placing my order by phone and confirmed with the salesperson that the computer WAS active stylus compatible! HP did publish a bulletin after that saying that it was not. I keep watching for an updated firmware or something which will solve this but I can tell you that I am very unhappy with the process. I have screen shots of the screen showing the HP active pen with the computer (and it was offered as an option with my online order which did not go through). Active stylus was absolutely mandatory for me since I run an application that only works with an active stylus. I see that this now ships with a stylus so it looks like you have resolved the situation. Please help.

Intern
Message 7 of 11 (964 Views)

Now HP is giving away an active stylus with the Spectre x360 so apparently they must work. I bought mine in Feb 2017 and the current ones less than 2 months later get a free stylus that apparently works??

This is frustrating to say the least.

Honor Student
Message 8 of 11 (952 Views)

@LVegas Has "an appropriate team within HP" done anything to resolve this for you in the month since @Dvortex said that he brought it to their attention?

Intern
Message 9 of 11 (945 Views)

dswest wrote:

@LVegas Has "an appropriate team within HP" done anything to resolve this for you in the month since @Dvortex said that he brought it to their attention?

No, beyond telling me that the stylus doesn't work with my new x360 Spectre.

Well other than the latest advertising indicates that new Spectre's now come with a free stylus that I had to pay $60 for and then return. So apparently I'm being punished for getting sold on the unit at CES and buying it right off the bat rather than wait 6 months or so to get all the features they promised.

At least they didn't drag me off the airplane. Smiley Happy

Student
Message 10 of 11 (879 Views)

I also have a 13t-w00. I tried the stylus from the new acxx units and that didn't work. I tried the synaptic active stylus from the previous generation units. Are we just screwed? Is this a hardware issue where we simply don't have the digitizer layer for a pen or is this a driver issue? I don't see any pen settings in my control panel
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation