Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy 17t with Windows 10 Home 64. After a Windows update, all of a sudden the Windows Hello Face, Fingerprint, and PIN options are all showing the error message "This option is currently unavailable - click to learn more." When I click, it shows in red letters: "Something went wrong. Try again later." I had been using the Face recognition with the PIN as a backup if the camera couldn't detect my face. 

I tried updating the driver for the camera, and Hello Face started working again, but it still shows as "unavailable" and the PIN doesn't come up when the facial recognition doesn't detect my face (it just times out and the computer goes back to sleep). 

I've read some other solutions online and most of them either refer to things I don't seem to have on my computer, or suggest editing the registry, which I'm afraid to do (especially since I'm telecommuting now and depend on my laptop more now more than ever!). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry about the late response.

Build 18363.720 is referring to v1909, which HP hasn't seem to have released a driver for yet, in terms of your particular model.

Try this instead:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand Cameras
  3. Right-click your IR camera 
  4. Select Update driver
  5. Let it Search automatically
  6. If it fails to find drivers, let Windows update find updated drivers 

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Marlooshka,

We could try some driver updates. 

A specific model name or product number would be appreciated. E.g. HP Spectre x360 - 13-ap0028ca or 5MT98UA#ABL

Information on how to find a laptop's model name or product number is detailed in this HP document. (Please do not post serial numbers on the HP Support Community. The difference between a product number and a serial number is that the product number contains a # sign)

You could also run HP Support Assistant to automatically install any drivers. In case you don't already have it, here is the download page for HP Support Assistant. You can find information on how to update your computer using the HP Document here and expanding Update the computer.

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

My product number is 1WC56AV (no # sign). My product name is HP ENVY Laptop 17-ae1xx. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Please try the driver below:

HP TrueVision Full HD (FHD) RGB-IR Webcam Driver (Windows 10 v1903)

Description:

This package provides the driver to enable the HP TrueVision Full HD (FHD) RGB-IR camera in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The HP TrueVision FHD RGB-IR webcam provides support for Windows Hello facial recognition biometric authentication.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96001-96500/sp96242.exe

Once it's done installing, restart the system and check settings once again.

The fingerprint option being unavailable is normal considering your model doesn't have a fingerprint sensor.

HP Recommended

I got an error message that the driver is not supported by my OS, which is Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 18363.720

HP Recommended

I tried to install the drivers, but got an error message that it's not supported by my OS, "Windows 10.0.18363"

HP Recommended

Sorry about the late response.

Build 18363.720 is referring to v1909, which HP hasn't seem to have released a driver for yet, in terms of your particular model.

Try this instead:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand Cameras
  3. Right-click your IR camera 
  4. Select Update driver
  5. Let it Search automatically
  6. If it fails to find drivers, let Windows update find updated drivers 

HP Recommended

It's working now (even though, weirdly, under Sign-in Options it still says "currently unavailable"). Thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.