Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion DV6-3160 Us and it is making a lot of fan noise, so I am thinking about cleaning the insides and everyone says use compressed air, but I don't want to go out and by compressed air, so could I just use my hair dryer?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can try, that but make sure of a few things:

1. If you can't use the hair dryer with a no heat setting, then don't use it.

2. Put a toothpick in the vent and position it between 2 of the fan blades so the fan doesn't "pinwheel." Making the fan spin beyond its normal range could ruin the bearings.

3. DO NOT touch the hair dryer to the case or anything in the laptop. It will build up static electricity and wreck your notebook.  This is the same when folks clean out the insides of a desktop with a vacuum cleaner.

Good luck. A novel idea. I just don't know if you can get enough wind out of a hair dryer to clean out the vents.

The little plastic tube on a can of compressed air forces the stream of air under higher pressure than a hair dryer can.

Paul

HP Recommended

So then should i put it on the cool setting and on high and then blow the vents. 

Also do i blow the vents from the inside oor the outside? 

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, on cool and highest fan speed.

You would point the end of the dryer at the fan intake grill and blow towards the fan. Then you can blow from the exhaust vent in toward the fan.

Do it each way a couple of times.

You may as well use it to clean the keyboard etc.  Just do not allow the hair dryer to touch any part of the notebook.

You may even want to remove the battery as an extra precaution.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.