Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Whne battery power is getting low, a screen pop-up used to warn me about this. Now the laptop just shuts down without warning when the battery power is too low. How do I get the screen pop-up warning back again?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@seanfhile There are a few things you need to do, to understand how the battery warning works and to ensure it continues to work, let's start with testing and calibrating the battery: click here for steps, once done, follow the below steps to ensure the warning are active and/or set as per your preference:

1. Open the Control Panel.

Press the Win+X keyboard shortcut and choose the Control Panel item from the supersecret menu.

2. Choose Hardware and Sound.

3. Choose Power Options.

You see the laptop’s power plans.The battery warning levels are set for a specific plan.

4. Next to the active power plan, click the link Change Plan Settings.

Power management plans in Windows 10.

Power management plans.

5. In the Edit Plan Settings window, click the Change Advanced Power Settings link.

Finally, the Power Options dialog box shows up. It’s the happening place for all things having to do with power management in Windows.

6. Scroll the list, and locate the item labeled Battery.

As you would expect, it’s the last item in the list.

7. Click the plus sign (+) by Battery to display various battery notification and action options.

Each item has two subitems — one for settings when the laptop is on battery power and a second for when the laptop is plugged in.

8. Set the battery-level warnings.

In chronological order, here are the items you can set:

• Low-battery notification: Sets a warning for a low battery level, before the situation becomes critical. Values are set to On to set the low warning and Off to ignore it.

• Low battery level: Determines the battery percentage for the low-battery-level warning. This value should be generous, well above the critical level.

• Low battery action: Directs the laptop in what to do when the battery charge reaches the low-battery level. Other options are Sleep, Hibernate, and Shut Down.

• Critical battery level: Sets the battery power level (percentage) for the crucial battery-level action.

• Critical battery action: Directs the laptop to sleep, hibernate, or shut down when the critical battery level is reached.

9. Click OK to confirm the settings.

You can close any remaining dialog boxes and windows.

Setting the warnings is only one part of good power management. Hopefully, you never see the low-battery notification and, most definitely, you never have the laptop automatically hibernate on you (for the critical-level action).

• The low-battery warnings are independent of the Battery Saver setting.

• When the low-battery notice sounds or appears and you’re blessed with a second battery for your laptop, pop it in and keep working!

• That critical-battery notice is serious. Laptop time is over! You see no warning; the laptop simply hibernates or turns itself off — whichever option is set.

• The best thing to do when power gets low: Plug in! This is why you might consider taking your power cord with you wherever you go.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. I have tried those steps already, but will try again,

HP Recommended

@seanfhile If you've already done these steps, please try the below steps instead:

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager:
1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”.

2) Expand “Batteries”.

3) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.

4) Click on “Uninstall”.

5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver and restart the pc

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

can i change my query>

The laptop is shutting down randomly, when the battery level is nowhere near the low battery level.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.