Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-da0073ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I activated my new laptop and thought i had full admin rights but i can't download any programs or items to neither the program files folder or the  program(x86) folder. the message says (paraphrasing) "you don't have admin rights to download to this folder. see your admin." I end up downloading it to the users folder & have to drop it in the program/program(x86) folder. i have no other users on this pc so can someone walk me thru the steps to get FULL admin rights? Thanks so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@geek2b 

Windows apps have components that are installed across several folders and generally, you do no choose the folders for the installation, the Window installation package does that.

Some apps give you a choice of Drive -- so you can install the bulk of the stuff to a drive other than your OS drive -- but you don't choose individual folders.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@geek2b 

You can't download to those folders in Windows 10 -- so the error message you are getting is correct.

To install an app in Win10, you need to download to a folder you own and then run the app installer.  That will invoke the Trusted Installer (which DOES have the rights needed) and will prompt your for the Admin password.

That is how it works in Windows 10.

HP Recommended

so i need to download my programs to another folder but when it's time to install i can have it installed in the program folders? ok, i'll try that. now how does that work with music files? will i be able to download my music into my music folder with no issues like saving it to another folder then transferring it over?

and thank you for your response.

HP Recommended

@geek2b 

Windows apps have components that are installed across several folders and generally, you do no choose the folders for the installation, the Window installation package does that.

Some apps give you a choice of Drive -- so you can install the bulk of the stuff to a drive other than your OS drive -- but you don't choose individual folders.

HP Recommended

thanks so much for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.