Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to install HP D1600 Printer software on my new HP Pavillion Laptop and getting Error : " the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" All very well and good but what on Gods earth do i do about it, anybody help. HP no use whatsoever. Tux1947

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Tux1947 

If this is your printer

HP Deskjet D1600 Printer series

The printer software is not supported in Windows 10.

I did find the Full Feature Software for Windows 8.1 

HP Deskjet D1600 Printer series Full Feature Software and Driver

Software was released in 2014

It might work and / or you might be able to install the software using compatibility mode.

** Install - Optional - For Windows 10 Users – Compatibility Mode **

If you have been having trouble getting the printer software to fully install (Printer Assistant is functional and Scanning works), consider using Compatibility.  Note that this method only fixes “one type” of difficulty; installing this way may – or may not – make the necessary difference.

NOTES

If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

Right-Click on the downloaded installation file > Properties > Compatibility 

Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

Select Windows 8 (or the closest you can find)

Click Apply and OK to close the Properties menu

Right-Click on the installation file and select to Run as Administrator

and / or

Hover over the Windows Start pane on your Taskbar > Right-Click and select Search

In the search bar, type:  run programs

Click on Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Start the Troubleshooter...

Select "Not listed"

Browse to the downloaded folder / file and select the executable file in the Troubleshooter

For example, your downloaded file might be named:  OJ8710_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161.exe

Follow prompts - for example, select to have the troubleshooter implement "fixes".

In this case, the "fix" suggested is to run the program in "Compatibility mode for Windows 7"

Click "Test the program" (still in the Troubleshooter)

Restart the computer and log in.

Click Cancel in the Troubleshooter to close it.

OR

You might be able to add basic print function using the Windows 10 print drivers (no scan)...

HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks Dragons Fur,  but my HP D1600, i have had for at least 6 years on my previous Laptop an Acer and it operated perfectly well on Windows 10. So it would appear that, certainly in some instances, it does support Windows 10. The rest of your responses i am most grateful for your assistance and will investigate further. Once again many thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Dragons fur. Did you have any suggestions about the error message i am getting about "the volume being altered"? Tux1947

HP Recommended

@Tux1947 

You are welcome.

The software might work - it is old but it might still be usable with the latest versions of Windows 10.

The exception to this statement:  If you have managed to upgrade your Windows version to Windows 2004, the OS could be doing something completely different, anything of its own making, and perhaps something not immediately (or easily) understood.  Windows 2004 is "kind of a mess" at these early stages of its release.  Personal Opinion Only, of course.

No, I don't have any information on "the volume being altered".  I found an old reference to the issue in the Microsoft Community - not a "printer thing" as far as noted in the description or responses.  ??

Error: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.

Unless you think there is something wrong on the computer File System for any reason, I would guess the error is perhaps the simple result of the Operating System not liking the printer software installation.  I realize that is not helpful...

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.