Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

fingerprint scanner not working anymore

HP envy m6 1125dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, my fingerprint scanner also stopped working also after the win 10 installation. it used to respond to touch, but not anymore. whenever i try updating the drivers, i'm told i have the most recent driver but the reader is still totally off.

the driver i have at the moment is (WBF)(PID=0018). i hope there's a way outta this too

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
21888 21707 1858 6914
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

fingerprint scanner not working anymore

@rocksgrace

The following may help -- there are no guarantees > if your system has been migrated to Windows 10, it has done so without the benefit of having any HP Drivers.  This means some things may work and others, well, not-so-much.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

You can use the Validity Driver previously assigned to your notebook:

File name: sp58869.exe

Release details

Released: Sep 24, 2012

Version 4.4.234.0

Enable the fingerprint reader >> PIN assignment is mandatory

Windows 10 >   Settings > Account > Sign-in Options > PIN number

Regardless of whether you intend to use SimplePass (or other third party security software), there are prerequisites for setting and using the Native Windows fingerprint logon.  The system recognizes the Windows Logon software as “primary” and requires that the Windows fingerprint logon be set up and functional.  

See:

Add or Remove Fingerprint logon - Windows 10

When you have Windows fingerprint logon working, you can try adding SimplePass to the mix.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

IF you have an Export of your Webcards
AND
if that Export file is some-file-name.tsd
then
you were using AuthenTec Series 6 HP SimplePass program:

sp63224 HP SimplePass V6.0.100.276 Win7-8

This version might still work in Windows 10 -- or it might not.  Lack of HP Drivers for your Operating System and too many File System changes over the past few years have taken a toll on this robust and sturdy program suite.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

IF you have an Export of your Vault

AND

if that Export file is some-file-name.opi

then

you were using the newer, supported Softex Series 8 HP SimplePass program:

sp75196_HP_SimplePass_V8.0.1.53A_W7-W10 32/64bit

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

If you do not have an Export of your Webcards / Vault, then you should use the aforementioned Series 8 HP SimplePass program.  The program is supported (at this writing), it is kept updated, and it is rated for Windows 7 through and including Windows 10.

• You can only have one Series of the HP SimplePass program on the computer at one time.
  • Series 8 is not an upgrade of Series 6 -- these are separate, conflicting, hate-each-other programs.
  • You can switch from one Series to the other as long as you remove the first one and reboot the computer before installing the other program.

Fancy_Lines_2.jpg

General Rules / Suggestions:

• "Other" HP Drivers must be installed and Windows Updates should be current within about a week
  • You might need to UPDATE the BIOS - do not do this unless you have EVERYTHING backed up; BIOS updates carry a modicum of risk, even when you do EVERYTHING correctly.  Never let HPSA update your BIOS.
  • Create a Restore Point (strongly recommended)
  • Have a known, tested password that you can use to log into the computer should HP SimplePass fail
  • Install / Reinstall Driver first
  • Restart / Reboot computer and log in
  • Install / Update / Reinstall HP SimplePass next
  • Restart / Reboot computer and log in

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

Sections of interest include:

• Order of Events is important
  • Change Sign-In Options
  • Procedure - Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass
  • Switch HP SimplePass Series (6 to 8 or 8 to 6)

• Safe-House Account – Secondary Administrative Account

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation