Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a new laptop with windows 8.  I am unable to use the kindle app - wont let me log into my amazon account to download my books.  Says not ready to use offline.  Also unable to access the windows store to reinstall the kindle app.  Any suggestions.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello jakayw,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand the computer is experiencing issues with the Windows Store and Kindle App. These issues are probably caused by the same unfortunate turn of events, but I will do what I can to assist you! Please try the following to resolve the issue:

a) In the Start Screen, type “wsreset” and hit Enter. This deletes any store caches.

b) Try to launch the App Store and install an app.

If this doesn't work, try these steps next:

a) Go into the App Store and go to the Settings Charm.

b) Click App Updates, then Sync Licenses button.

c) Restart the computer and try installing apps again.

These steps should resolve the issue. Either way, please provide your results. Thanks for bringing this issue to the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Unfortu lately the first suggestion did not work. Could not try the second suggestion because part of the ppoblem is I can not access the app store.
HP Recommended

What exactly happens when you try to access the App Store? Once I know this, I might be able to suggest something productive. Hopefully, you don't have to reinstall the operating system.

Mario

HP Recommended

I get the little white circle going round and round like it is thinking ....forever - thats it.  Never get a message or anything.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response! I am going to suggest that you refresh the operating system instead of reinstalling it, for now. This will clean it up, and also return it to Windows 8. For more information on how to do this, please reference this Microsoft website: How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC

Try using the store in WIndows 8 and see if it works. If so, try updating to Windows 8.1 and using it, if you wish. Let me know the results. Thanks!

Mario

HP Recommended

I believe he was unable to find the app store because he typed 'app store' as did I. Then I typed store in the search and found HP's kindle app.

I too needed to uninstall/install bacause my kindle app became corrupted yesterday. You did set me on the right path thought Mario so thanks!

Dave

HP Recommended

Well ... uninstalling and reinstalling did not solve the problem. I'm still getting the message:

The application encountered an unexpected error. Please restart the application [108]

Netflix also fails. I click on it and get a black screen which immediately disappears and the taskbar icon is translucent. What had led up to all this was a failed install of an update of my ZoneAlarm firewall. The install generated an error and shut down. At that point my wifi went out. I did not realize ZA had corrupted it. Not only that but it corrupted win10's OS to the point that stopped working right. Left clicking to start anything stopped working.

Unfortunately I'd just gotten win10 and didn't realize the protection settings were turned off. So I reverted to win 8.1. 8.1 still worked ok and I was able to begin cleaning up the ZA mess. Removing ZA got me back internet. Reinstalling everything was a mess, and thank goodness I checked to see if kapersky was back in my IP protocol stack (it was.) Kapersky/ZA really made a mess of this machine.

So, I go to find a win 8.1 restore and lo and behold my restore points are all gone and protections were OFF again. Is there any hope of restoring these apps w/o having to do an OS reinstall from disc?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.